Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

It is important to have a genuine connection with the student. All this implies is that you as the coach are being honest, upfront, and sincere in your approach.

Work together(by listening) with the student to learn their technique and then work on the shortcoming to make it a positive effort for the student's progress towards the needed goal.

In this module, I learned that it is important to be genuine to build a relationship with your students.  When you're genuine, you're able to build trust that eventually will allow for career coaching.  When you're coaching, you want to guide the student to create their own goals and plans, instead of directing them.  By allowing the student to form their own goals and plans, we empower them to take control of their futures. When students feel empowered, they are more likely to follow through with their educational tasks and goals. 

Unconditional Positive Regard, while challenging in practice (as this happened to me yesterday), will assist in earning the trust of both my students and those who report to me directly. 

Relationship building is the most important step in being an effective career coash.

Coaching is more relational and needed to assist instead of dictate. We are members of a support staff for our students and need to keep in mind that this is not about us and the choices we would individually make. We are to be a guide on the side and not the sage on the stage.

In this section, I have learned that it is important to have an Unconditional Positive Regard towards the students. This ensures that they are not being judged as the career coach is being empathetic and patient throughout the entire process. 

This section reiterates and ties in the critical importance of (genuinely) building rapport with the students in career coaching and all campus interactions. I can have access to endless resources, tools, information, skills, networking, strategies, employment opportunities, etc. All of which is useless in the absence of a trust and respect. Effective strategies in student career coaching begin with valuing student rapport building. 

I learned that career coaching is an intricate and deliberately structured process that is tailored to each individual student; beginning with establishing and building emotional and psychological bonds and bridges.  

Unconditional positive regard can help build rapport with students and give them a safe space to voice any internal or external issues they may come across when job searching. By using active listening skills, students will feel validated in their experiences while also having the confidence to continue their job search. 

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities