Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Standards of Accreditation | Origin: CM150

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Understanding the Language and Intention of Accreditation Standards --> Standards of Accreditation 

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

Es muy importante conocer los estandares de la acreditacion y los requisitos del mismo para poder asi demostrque las instituciones cumplen con los antes mensionado para una buena calificacion como Institucion. 

I've learnt how important it is to understand the commission's interpretation of the Federal guidelines, and to demonstrate compliance with the commission's requirements, which don't necessarily have to be set in a specific standard. I will specially take into account the fact that institutions should provide a comprehensive response to the standards. 

Learned the regulations for federal guidelines an to how to stay compliant with the requirements.

I have learned how the language of the federal guidelines is left intentionally vague so that the accrediting agencies have room to interpret them based on the needs of the institutions they govern. It is important, therefore, to not only understand the federal guidelines but also the interpretations of the accrediting agency for your institiution.

With this module just touching the surface of accredidation, I found it enlightening to learn that the standards are set broadly by the Department of Education for accreditors to become recognized. Then, once recognized, accreditors standards align with the Department's, however the commission's standards are more specific to a type of institution - but not too prescriptive that it cannot accomade the vast array of educational institutions and business nationwide. For instance, NACCAS accredits cosmetology and massage career schools, and becuase of being a National accreditor - though many things are prescriptive in nature - there is much left up to interpretation by the institution based on the level at which the business is operating. 

I have learned that the Federal regulations allow accreditors to establish additional criteria and require institutions to demonstrate  compliance with those standards.

The justification for ambiguity of the lenguage has caugth my attention, since in my country of origin this criteria are also handle ambiguously and then focus in the aspects that aspect considered fundamental. This forces to institution set clear goals and objectivs and meet them in a more contextualizaed manner.

These standards are often meticulously crafted to encompass various aspects of an institution, including curriculum, faculty qualifications, student support services, and more. Interpreting these standards goes beyond just reading the text; it involves grasping their underlying intentions, which are primarily focused on promoting educational excellence, continuous improvement, and accountability. 

I learned that each accreditation agency can determine what is sufficiently rigorous in terms of their criteria, and that federal regulations can be intentionally vague to allow for agencies to make that determination as they see fit.

Sign In to comment