Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

It is my opinion that students leave school because of personal issues. The demographics of the college student is changing, therefore their responsibilities may be different from what we have seen in the past.

I believe the majority of students that leave did not take the proper time to establish time management skills, which can lead following behind, which leads being discourage which leads to failing which leads to withdrawal .

I agree. Most of the time the student does not give you a concrete reason as to why they are dropping. Personal reasons is normally what they say.

Jenifer,

True, all of these things often work together to make it extremely difficult for the adult student. I think that lack of support from one's family or current employer, in order for a student to accomplish a career goal or dream, is perhaps one of the greatest hindrances. As educators, our ability to support and appropriately motivate each student is crucial. That being said, part of that message includes ensuring that the student is fully aware of the demands of the program and ensuing professional position. Thanks Jenifer!

Jay Hollowell

The economic problems is one of the reasons why students drop out. It is a difficult period. Another reason and this is academic: deficiencies in the areas of math and science. These areas are important and necessary to pursue careers in health.

In my opinion, students withdraw before graduating because they are bogged down with the effects of having made poor choices, leaving them to deal with situations that their mentality and lifestyle reject. Additionally, today, many students are lacking college level skill(s) and the time to put forth skill building. Attendance is another factor, whether job related or laziness, or lack of confidence.

I agree with most of what is written here. I also believe that some students do not realize the magnitude of the course they are taking or the discipline that is needed. Not quite sure of their home lives of which do play a roll in it but I do believe the studying and classes can be overwhelming.

I feel most students leave because their financial situation changes or they underestimated the amount of work needed to complete the program.

I believe that reality of the expectations were not made known, life happens and or they lose motivation to try and may or may not have had the drive to be persistent to begin with.

I agree that most students leave because they are not personally prepared to attend; students with unresolved issues outside of their control as well as students who simply are not ready to commit.

Even if students have no personal hindrances outside of school, they still might not be ready to make the time and energy commitment because they cannot see how these sacrifices now will be rewarding in their futures.

Students leave school because of outside personals factors standing in there way. Most of the time it is due to family issues. Other times, the student could be dissatisfied with the education they are receiving. Or they could have an out of pocket expense that they cannot afford.

When reviewing the reasons that students reference when withdrawing, the majority of the time it is financial. Often it is life changes, i.e. losing a job, car trouble, child care costs, etc. Tracking the reason for attrition is helpful because although some reasons are beyond administrative or faculty control, by establishing a supportive culture through student services, an institution may be able to assist in retaining current students based on the reasons that are most commonly given by students who do withdraw.

Students may leave due to financial reasons, family issues, or falling behind in classes. The reason for leaving will vary depending upon the individual.

In my experience, students leave college mainly due to personal reasons relating to finances or conflicts with work schedules that cannot be resolved.

In my experience, most of the students who withdraw from the program here do so for personal reasons. Some withdraw because they can not handle the course load, and some transfer to different school after having a tough time with the online classes.

I think that most students who withdraw before graduating do not realize the work it takes to complete a nursing program. Also, some withdraw because they have life event that occur, others withdraw because they discover that it is not their choice of careers.

There are obviously many reasons why a student may withdraw. Some of the most reoccurring reasons that I am familiar with seeing are: medical - either for the student or close relative, transportation issues, child care problems, needing to pick up more hours at work for financial reasons.

I feel like most who leave early, weren't properly prepared for and time commitments, or have had a significant family situation. Making sure they are fully informed is a good way to prevent this.

Unexpected challenges.

In my opinion, it has been too much of a financial burden on them.

Sign In to comment