Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Personal and financial reasons.

I agree. They have so much going on in their personal life that they cannot concentrate in their education. They begin to stress and panic.

There are many reason students leave before graduating. In my opinion, many students don't realize how much work college really is. I think some people think that online degrees are easier and that is just not true. Online education takes discipline, time management, and hard work. I think students leave because they get overwhelmed. Another reason is because they don't get the support they need from staff and faculty.

In my opinion I find that a lot of times students leave not due to school work, but due to responsibilities outside of school work,family,kids etc. And it becomes to much to keep everything balanced

Very few students will reveal the true reason they leave--whether it is due to personal problems (medical issues, child care, employment opportunities, moving away). Students will give general reasons such as financial which doesn't give the college much information to work with to even try to help students or provide options for assistance.

Sometimes students leave because they lack the support at home needed to complete their education. Other times they leave because pressure from friends or family to go to schools that will provide them with the largest refund checks.

Usually life happens. They don't have time, and often have to attend to many things. Children, family issues, work issues, etc.

It has been my experience that some students are just not financially capable, organizationally capable, or realistically capable to complete the program. They have some kind of unrealistic notion that when they enroll and/or pay tuition, the degree is just part of the deal. At NC, the majority of students who withdraw have personal, family, or health issues that arise - many come back, but those who don't usually have endured some kind of significant ordeal which has prevented them from returning.

Most students that do not end up graduating from our program have family or personal issues come up that keep them from finishing. Some students have trouble balancing work and school and end up failing or withdrawing from the program.

In most cases it is financial issues that they can not overcome as well as personal problems.

I think most student that withdraw from school are due to illness or family issues. I hardly feel like they invest time and energy just to realize they cant do it.

In my opinion students withdraw from an institution before graduating because they may have gotten a job, family issues, or financial responsibilities may be contributing factors.

I feel students drop out of school before graduation due to outside responsibilities.

In my experience there had been four factors that come into play for students to leave before graduating. 1. They are totally unprepared for college and withdraw within the first two quarters. 2. They have something in the background that precludes them from qualifying for a position within the field. 3. They indicated cost is too great and look for less expensive school. 4. They move and it is no longer conducive for them to attend our school.

I have also had students drop because of personal issues. However, more often I have seen them drop out because they decide that nursing is not the right career choice for them after all. These are usually students who have had no exposure to nursing. For example, they have never worked in the medical field as a CNA or even been around patients. Their idea of what being a nurse is like does not match the realities.

In my opinion, based on 20 years of teaching and working in education administration, students withdraw because their life circumstances change, or because the school acts in a way that destroys the trust relationship that may have been there at the start. For example, I just finished teaching a first quarter course and when I asked "my" students why they choose to pursue their chosen profession they wrote about their struggles and goals and said they viewed my school as key to their success. Now why is that? Are we the best around? I think so, but did the students gain a mostly subjective or objective view of what we can and cannot offer? Also, Which of these students will be up for the actual work involved in reaching their goals? Most will, but some still think they are in high school and it showed by the way they did not follow through within this course even after my repeatedly asking them for their work and even extending deadlines more than once. And then there is the trust factor. I've heard students say that their rep told them it would be okay to regularly arrive late to class. Did the rep say that? Let's say no, and instead say that this is what the student was allowed to hear. These things, plus loss of income, family instability, and other disruptors cause students to leave.

I feel students withdraw from our institution prior to graduation because of obstacles that arise in their person live. For example, parents fall ill and they must not become care takers.

Many of our students leave school because of personal problems. There are problems with child care, transportation, and general family issues. These are understandable. The frustrating part is when a student just falls off the grid and you don't know why. They don't respond to emails or phone calls.

The fact show that is mostly for financial reasons followed by medical concerns and child care issues. We refer all cases to our counselor who has a variety of resources to help students.

In my experience it seems that students do not finish because they are single parents. Sometimes they are impulsive in their decision to enroll and realize the they should have prepared better. They just get so excited to start a new chapter in their lives. Coming from families where they are the first to attend college they are not fully prepared.

Important that you stated it was not the enrollment process :) .!!!

Sign In to comment