Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Based on my experience, students tend to leave before program completion because of financial hurdles, lack of support from family, inflexibility with work schedule, and no money for childcare services.

Students leave when they find out that hey are not properly informed about standards or misguided in financial part.

Students withdraw from institutions for many reasons. Transportation and family are two of the biggest issues that I have run into. Some students have unreliable cars and are unable to attend classes; or their car breaks down mid-way through their program and they cannot afford to get it fixed. Other students may not be able to afford public transportation. A major family issue is childcare. Some students are unable to afford childcare or their childcare situation changes.

Yes Maria I totally agree with you. Many students also have personal issues that prevent them from continuiing their education.

It seems like the number one reason students withdraw from my institution before graduating is they didn't expect the program to be as rigorous as it is. Students often seem to think that it is going to be easy and don't realize how much work they are going to have to put in. We have recently placed more emphasis on disclosing to students how much time and effort they are going to have to give in order to succeed.

Students tend to withdraw due to unexpected financial strains that occur after enrollment.

We have been tracking this carefully and attempting to find additional ways to support them during this time to allow them to continue with their education.

Most students withdraw from school before graduating do to lack of retention! A lot of times we enroll even seeing our students all the way through the academic process, and contact has not been made anymore. Its important to call, and ask questions how are you? how are classes the student must have sincerity that the institution cares about their well being.

I believe that student's who do not have a good support system outside of school have a greater struggle when an unexpected emergency arises such as an illness or financial burden. This causes them to put their education on hold.

My experience has been that, though students still believe in those goals, the requirements of day to day life, and what they need for basic survival prevent continuation of their program. Perhaps students misjudge the demands, but also, sometimes as they get further into the program, those demands begin to wear on them. Frequently though, circumstances change drastically from what they were at the time of enrollment.

For several reasons. It could be personal finance, change in work schedule or job relocation, personal family issues and/or it could come down to fear of their own success.

Sign In to comment