Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

James,

Engaging students in the classroom can be trying at best. Have you ever attended a staff meeting where some of your colleagues were, for lack of a better phrase, not paying attention? Grading homework? Having private conversations? Texting?

As we know all too well, students aren't a whole lot different than instructors: If they aren't absorbed by what's going on, they'll find something else that interests them.

You, as an educator, must be on stage when teaching. In today's society students are accustomed to having everything right away. This means that maybe you should consider engaging in social media techniques while in the classroom. An example, would be having students text the answer rather than blurt out the answer.

Cindy Bryant

James,

Engaging students in the classroom can be trying at best. Have you ever attended a staff meeting where some of your colleagues were, for lack of a better phrase, not paying attention? Grading homework? Having private conversations? Texting?

As we know all too well, students aren't a whole lot different than instructors: If they aren't absorbed by what's going on, they'll find something else that interests them.

You, as an educator, must be on stage when teaching. In today's society students are accustomed to having everything right away. This means that maybe you should consider engaging in social media techniques while in the classroom. An example, would be having students text the answer rather than blurt out the answer.

Cindy Bryant

Students leave school for a variety of reasons. There is not one specific answer. The majority of the time students have a personal issues that need to be resolved such as no transportation, no child care, moving to another community, taking care of a sick relative, or possibly they need to seek immediate employment. Frequently, students will resume their education after they settle these challenges and personal obligations.

Nancy,

I agree that it is difficult to pinpoint one particular reason as everyone's circumstances are different. Maybe the question should be what can the school do to help students stay?

Cindy Bryant

The no longer find value in the insitution and are not motivated to continue.

Some are not emotionally prepared. Some students are excited about getting an education to better themselves and quickly enroll before they are emotionally prepare for the commitment. Once enrolled, and as they go through the program, they realize the hard work. As soon as they have any financial, child care, emergency or just life problems, it easier for them to just put off their education.

Nestor,

Many times the students fail to be able to think critically through their problems. Sometimes a phone call and/or mentor reaching out is all it takes to turn the student back around.

Cindy Bryant

Students withdraw for many reasons, it could be because of family/personal issues or it could be because they are unsure if they are ready for a new change. Also another reason can be because the student is not learning anything due to the instructor not teaching well.

Isabel,

Welcome to the forum. There are several studies and reports that indicate that the majority of "drops" occur within the first 3 courses. For arguments sake, let's assume that many of these drops are related to poor teaching methods. What would be the best strategy to reduce attrition?

Cindy Bryant

Many students leave an institution because of lack of support, or perceived lack of support, while enrolled in their program. Whether it is financial issues, work conflict, child care concerns, or medical care issues a number of problems care arrise during a student's education. It is the institution's responsibility to provide support to students in these various areas in an effort to prevent withdrawal and mitagate risk for losing students prior to graduation.

There are many reasons students withdraw - personal life circumstances, military leave, wasn't what they expected or wanted in the curriculum or job outcome, and financial reasons, to name a few.

I think many students leave due to lack of coping skills or it becomes overwhelming with school, family, work, etc.

Most students leave due to personal or family issues, moving out of state, new job wont work with our school schedule, child care,,,etc. Although you try to help them with these issues, they usually wont stay in school.

Our students give up on themselves for a variety of reasons. They may feel misinformed, life issues can get in the way, self confidence and fear are also factors.

Over the years looking at why they leave we have done some research by contacting students after they have left school. The two major areas we found out were.
1. Life got in the way of school and the student(s) did not have the coping skills to handle school and personal issues.
2. The second had to do with the classroom and how the instructor interacted with the student(s)Keeping the student(s)motivated and engaged in what they were learning.
We did not find any significant data that there was a problem in the enrollment process.

Lisa,

In your opinion, what would be the best way to discourage drops and increase retention rates.

Cindy Bryant

Stacey,

In your response you mention that sometimes students leave due to a lack of coping skills. Many campuses have implemented courses that assist students with soft skills as well as coping skills. What does your campus offer students along these lines?

Cindy Bryant

Theresa,

I wish I could say that if you give the student the necessary resources they will remain in school. Unfortunately this may not be true all the time. I have learned that if a campus is able to provide alternatives then there is a possibility of saving many students. You can consider yourself successful even if one student continues with their education.

Cindy Bryant

Theresa,

I wish I could say that if you give the student the necessary resources they will remain in school. Unfortunately this may not be true all the time. I have learned that if a campus is able to provide alternatives then there is a possibility of saving many students. You can consider yourself successful even if one student continues with their education.

Cindy Bryant

I believe that the students who do not complete the programs in which they are enrolled at our school leave school primarily because of issues in their lives. Again and again, I talk to people who have put their educations "on hold" because of family emergencies, tragedies, and financial hardship. A few students may find that getting an education requires a lot of work and effort. Some may not have been willing to put in the needed time and perspiration to succeed.

Sign In to comment