Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Rock and a Hard Place?

How can/should you approach the academic units on your campus to discuss what you now understand to be inappropriate technical standards? You need to be honest with students about the requirements they will face, but what happens when you know those requirements are open to challenge?

Everything in life is open to challenge but you can't avoid the necessary. Anytime you are approaching an issues / topic that can be controversial then one must use wisdom.

In my years of experience as working as an administrator in the educational field, I've noticed that people, especially those with a disability like a person who will just be honest with them.

I would approach the academic unit on campus with facts; having done my research to explain the adverse effect dealing with inappropriate technical standards.

Opposition may come but ultimately we must do what's right for our consumer despite the challenge we may face.

Cindy ,
I totally agree. I all of my years in higher education and working with students (and their families), the one that that they value is someone who is genuine, understanding, willing to advocate when necessary, but above all, honest about what is expected of each student in the classroom.

Sarah Smoger

I work in health care education therefore that's all that I can really comment on, that being said, all health care programs should have technical standards. When the standards are inappropriate they must be clarified so all students will know what will be required of them upon completion of the program. When clarifying the standards be honest with both the students and the staff. No one should be "set up for failure". We should give all students the ability to succeed in the field they choose as well as giving the educators students that can meet both the technical and educational standards.

I know if it was myself I would want someone to be honest with me. As insrtuctor I know my students feel the same way.

As a Career Services Advisor it is my job to work with students to guide them into functional and employment areas that are a match for success. Bottom line though I can discuss barriers, opportunities for success, and help guide, but the ultimate decision is the students.

B,
I totally agree. We can, and should do our jobs to the best of our ability. But, after that, it's still in the hands of the student.

Sarah Smoger

You need to evaluate each standard individually as a group.

It is natural to feel the need to say what is on your mind and give an honest answer but there are times when you must limit yourself to what can be legally said instead.

You should only respond to questions with which you are trained to answer. As an admissions rep it is my job to inform PGEs about the program not the manner in which it is completed.

As an Admissions Representative, its my role to advise the student of what programs are available, how those programs are administered, and what is required (legally) of the student to graduate. Ethically, I feel its important to share my insights regarding the challenges and the opportunities for success a student may face baced on their chesen field of study.

It is not my job to place my biased opinion on ones ability to achieve based on my own defininitions of performance and ability. Ultimately, the student has to make the choice. However, as an institution, we have to be vigilant in our practice of providing fair and equal access to career education for everyone.

I think that people appreciate honesty. In the long run, concealing information or not telling the truth could have a larger impact on a student's career than simply being upfront with them from the beginning. Honesty is always the best policy, even if it is not always the easiest one.

Use real world examples of role models and previous success stories to let them know how there are no limits..

I would schedule an appointment with the program director or practicum coordinator if the requirements were posing a problem with clinical classes or if I saw it being an issue at all in any classes - that way we can get it directed or handled before its too late in their program

I feel that this is something that not just one person should address. Student (dis)abilities whether they be physical or academic, should be discussed in a group - including instructors, admissions reps, program directors, etc., to individualize the possibilities of success in their chosen program.

I agree. The person responsible for accommodations should be the one to handle these topics.

If you have done enough research to know that when you are speaking to potential students with or without a disability and the technical standards may cause concern by a disabled person then you must go to the ones who can make the changes to the technical standards and explain to them the issues the institution may have to address due to this technical standards. It is always best to find a solution before the problem if it is within your abilities.

You must limit your personal ideas and thoughts even though at times you want to say sometning

Well to me you should give the student both sides, the possible advantages and the possible disadvantages and allow them to make the choice.

We need to be honest and realistic with our students. We are only setting them up for failure and doing them a disservice. We have to remember that there disability comes second and that they are just a person, first.

Sign In to comment