Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The twofold way I see it is to go to the Program Director and discuss the accommodations in detail so he/she can pass this along to the instructor. The next step is to discuss the requirements and how they open the institution up for challenge.

Both of these conversations are tough, and I can already hear the backlash. At times like these, I normally let the person talk ("Of course you have to be able to stand;" "no way someone is getting more time") and then calmly explain the spirit of the law. Talk about access, not the easy road. And finally offer to meet with the instructors along with the Director.

Loleta,
Agreed! We have an obligation. Let's put it in the hands of the student.

Sarah Smoger

The desire of the student to succeed should determine whether or not the student can overcome the challenge of the technical standard. We see many examples of people who have far exceeded any chance given them, from Stephen Hawking to many athletes. Rewriting inappropriate standards may make them more acceptable as far as legalities are concerned, but just maybe that current wording is the impetus to allow the challenge to be overcome by the disabled student.

Having an in-depth, honest description of the requirements of the person seeking employment in that area is essential. It will keep someone from having to explain too much verbally. It leaves very little "wiggle room".

It is also important that we educate those within our organization about the reality of certain careers. The more information they have, the less likely they will be to make this mistake.

I actually had this experience. Our program in nursing was asked by Disability Resources to explore out physical requirements and how we could accommodate students. There was much resistance from our staff. This is still a work in progress, but the fact that our program will need to accommodate those with physical disabilities is a reality.

We have a huge obligation to not only the students, but the institution, DOE, taxpayers, accrediting bodies, and the industries to make sure that all students, prior to enrollment, know the standards as they are set within the chosen field of study. We cannot tell a student that they will not be successful, we can only give them enough information to make an informed decision for themselves. I stated in an earlier post that I have been a witness to students becoming very successful in their field, in spite of those that said that they couldn't.

As the material I just read stated, I am not giving the student with disability a favor by not being honest about the technical standards. I need to prepare him/her for what is to come. As someone who works in nursing education, we are faced with the challenge on how to accomodate students who have physical disabilities. I am curious to find out if any one of you have any experience with this issue.

I also teach in healthcare education. I have found that some students do not take advantage of accommodations when they could do so. Often these students ask for alot of extra help, but do not want to become labeled. I agree that having clear expectations and standards and making it possible for the student to succeed is the job of every educator for every student.

It is a difficult task. Someone that is paralyzed from the neck down might have the mental capability to learn the science behind being a surgeon but they simply do not have the capability to perform the physical tasks associated with it. The fact of the matter is that regardless of laws, there are certain physical/mental limitations that people possess that will prevent them from being successful in certain educational and then career endeavors. It is difficult to pinpoint or realize these individuals and not be able to counsel accordingly. One psychological technique that sometimes works is to ask the student how they feel or how they think that they would react in a situation. This tends to lead them to an appropriate conclusion/decision without discouragement.

I had a recent example of this: Student having difficulty with the gloves provided in a sterile kit because of severe arthritis. The reality remains, however, that a sterile field needs to remain sterile and if a student can't get those gloves to fit we need to find other ones that do. It does not however, excuse a student from missing an entirely needed skill to pass the class.

This particular student not only had difficulty with the gloving, but then also in her words "became flustered so badly" that she was unable to even remember all of the other needed steps to pass this skill . She did challenge her not passing score due to those gloves.

The reality is, that there were other gloves available and she did not use them, nor should her ability to put gloves on impact her knowledge of the other required steps. It was not a fun day for either of us.

were not doing the students any favor if we aren't completely honest with them. it hurts them more if we don't disclose everything to them.

victoria,
Great example! We also struggle sometimes with our clinical staff when accommodating students. There may be times when we can't, but we need to go through the process of making that determination-it's not enough to say, "well, he or she can't do that the same way as a typical person, so they can't be a ____ (insert nurse, psychologist, etc.).

Sarah Smoger

I agree that a group approach is appropriate. More individuals can lead to more creative ideas for solving a problem.

When you are speaking to a student regarding the technical standards, you should be up front with them about what they will face, and then if they have concerns regarding the requirements, you should provide them with contacts for them to learn about possible accommodations.

Quinne,
Yes, sometimes it's beneficial to put the student in contact with someone in the field-or a professional contact.

Sarah Smoger

I realize everything is open to interpretation; as educators we not only provide information in a manner to ensure the success of the student, we also need to advocate when we see a possible learning disability. The student may not be aware of their disability and those students that do have a disability may not realize they can apply for accommodations. It is these challenges that will need to be brought to the educational institution.

It is extremely important to always err on the side of the law. When students decide to challenge requirements, it is not necessarily a bad thing. If an educational institution can respond to the students needs, it can be a good thing. Although an institution may not necessarily be required to make changes, doesn't mean that they won't. I would also add that if a student decides to challenge a requirement, that you do not respond with, "I will make that happen." Be genuine in your response, let them know that their concerns are noted, and escalate their challenge to Human Resources or to a Department Head.

If I have a student with disabilities come in to enroll into a program I know they will face challenges I would let that student know I will ask if they need anything special accomidaitons at the moment. I would then immediatly discuss what options my D.O.A. would have me take. I do not want to chance making any inapropriate comments unknowingly.

Jennifer,
Exactly. Remember, everyone, regardless of disability may face challenges within their chosen program of study. It doesn't necessarily mean they won't be successful.

Sarah Smoger

Very true, it seems like you need to be honest, but at the same time could be seen as discounting the student's ability by addressing it. It would help if there were clearer statutes that aided both sides in knowing how honest you can and should be in regards to employment expectations after graduation.

Sign In to comment