Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

One of my students asked a hypothetical question the other day, "why would our school allow a student to start a massage program if they were physically handicapped?"
My response to them was that the school might talk to them about the type of work environments they may be working in, but that would never get in the way of them being able to the job. Determined people can always find ways to fulfill their vocations and I will always strive to support anyone in that manner. There is equipment available that can make performing the tasks possible and it is up to the individual to determine if the costs that they will be incurring are acceptable to them.
My student then thanked me for enlightening them.
Changing minds one at a time is how it feels at times...

The responsibility to protect the institution lies with every member of its faculty and staff. However, the decision to change a technical standard should be left to the ultimate decision maker. I always follow the chain of command. Since I am not the one making the decision, but I feel a responsibility to protect my institution, I would speak with my direct supervisor about it and let him/her disseminate the information to the appropriate individual.

By going to the source with the concern...you will not only get the results needed but you will be helping other depts. understand on how to best use the information you have uncovered.

I feel like this is something that should be discussed when there is time for open dialogue with supervisors and campus administrators. This could be risky dependent upon how sensitive they are to suggestions. However, this should be a formal conversation and I would try to come to the meeting prepared with facts and references.

Always go to the experts in the field, I will always go to the required individual with the expertise. Inform your Student/s what you are doing. Do not second guess.

I think it is very important to be as up front with students as possible. You don't want to discourage them from obtaining their goals but you also don't want to give them false hope. I believe that any student would appreciate the honesty and possibly the challenge.

The student should be advised about what is required of them to pass their classes. I do have a problem with this as I feel that it is our responsibility to express what physical or other challenges the potential student may face on the job in their chosen career. If the student then feels that they are up to the challenge, then I am behind them 100%. The key is that they be informed.

I am an instructor and at my level I do not set the technical standards. My role of with the student is to teach and test on those standards. If I see a standard might be inappropriate I should bring it up to the appropriate person(s) on campus. It may be that the standard is perfectly reasonable since I cannot claim to be an expert in this area.

You should not promise anything to the student. Requirements open to challenge should be brought to management.

@chstormy19 all people should be treated with consideration and respect.  When working with those with a visable challenge one must allow the customer to self identify and state needs.  Do not make assumptions about how to serve anyone.

I think that you must initiate a posting in the CMS to explain the technical standards at the onset of the course. You also must reiterate this in your introduction. 

@BethReinhard Most of the time students have the directive  and can see what dose not fit .When that standard can be challenged by students ,then there must be a change .

Sign In to comment