Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Yes...I forgot flex hours...that is really important to me personally and I try to provide that for those who report to me. Thanks for reminding me.

Patricia,

I think that these are very creative ideas.
1)Providing professional development activities for those that have done a good job could be a nice incentive to perform. Another point to be made is that the one's that need training are usually the ones that haven't done such a good job.
2)Time away from the office could be coordinated with going over a performance review.
3)Pet Project is a wonderful motivator.

THanks for putting so much thought and detail into your response.
Cindy Bryant

My former employer would give Certificates that would say congradulations for enrolling so and so perspective students during the week of whatever week it was. This was always nice as it built my portfolio and made me feel good about how many people I was helping. Also we use to have plaques that would say for example admissions representative of the year or quarter for those who had the best results.

Constant praise and sending congratulations to the representatives who show 110% via during ou weekly meetings or via email. We also have our meetings during lunch time where we buy lunch for the reps and discuss new topics. During which we discuss how we have changed peoples lives for the better.

I think flex time is very important. You should not feel guilty when you use time off that you have earned. I find I am more positive after a break from work; I feel refreshed which, in turn, is reflected in my presentation to prospective students. It is sometimes draining working with the public! You need to take time to take care of yourself.

Janice,

Allowing your employees the opportunity to recharge and re-energize is very important, not only to their well being but to keep the level of productivity up. Balance is the key!

Cindy Bryant

Managers can motivate employees given the additional federal restrictions with elimination of the "safe harbors" by returning to the purposes of education and the job of the representatives and the impact of their work on students. Instead of focusing on financial gain of representatives focus on the career help they are giving students. Representatives can be recognized and applauded for their efforts at meetings and other gatherings for their efforts in helping students.

Nelson,

Hi! The career school and college industry has changes enormously. It has taken a turn toward a more servant oriented environment. If the admissions teams will do what is best for the students they will reap their rewards in a variety of ways.

Cindy Bryant

Keeping a comfortable, happy, stress free work environment is what most people want these days and it creates the optimal environment to concentrate on what they are there to do.

The bottom line is that it is a new environment. We must sincerely praise and recognize our employees for a job well done. I normally do this in quarterly all staff and faculty meetings. Monetary reward doesn't always equate to real job satisfaction. Individuals are also in need of knowing they are doing their jobs well. In the end, we are all helping students change their lives at every level. I would only want to hire an employee that understands, as is passionate, about helping students better their lives. The safe harbors shouldnt have any impact on that whether with or without them.

Andrew,

Hi! You are right the world of career education has made several changes in the last few years that has preempted the way that we must motivate our teams. You have said it well. :)

Cindy Bryant

I think due to all the new regulations you have to give praise to all your employees and give them non monetary incentives such as days off and three day weekend based on attitude and performance. This will in turn benefit the company and satisfy the employee.

Who you hire represents you and your organization and ensuring you are hiring the right people is where it all starts. Hire with the intent of hiring someone whose intent isn't to make money or to just hit goals, but hire those that are motivated through successes related to being in this business for the good. Don't get me wrong, having someone with a sales background can be helpful due to the typical skillset of being driven, motivated, goal-oriented and competitive, but if someone is looking to get in to education to just get a paycheck then this isn't the industry for them. We are in education to be the gateway to change and to support prospects through the enrollment process so that they can get educated within their specialty. We are door openers for individuals. Reward systems do not have to just be based off of financial incentives, find those that want to be on your team because they are over-performers with good moral character, great communication skills, those that can know their school programs and be a true professional. Honesty and integrity will always weigh over everything. With all those qualities, school growth comes. For those that have those qualities, quarterly award opportunties can work. Simple emails congratulating someone on their successes in building relationships work. Daily pats on the back as well as opportunities through excelling in positions to teach others and potentially growth in the form of promotions work as well. Don't hire someone just wanting financial incentive, hire someone who is in this for the greater good.

Our managers do a great job of recognizing accomplishments and hard-work. These Rep's get the praise they deserve in team meetings and through e-mails that we are all attached to.

Hi Cindy

This is a tough one. Everyone wants to be rewarded for a job well done, not just the recruiter. That being said, all other jobs at a school are dependent on enrollment. The person who is responsible for that is the recruiter. I wold recommend other personnel be a part of the team a prospective student comes in contact with while making a decision about attending. If everyone is familiar with school polices and can promote the school in a positive way, then the recruiter's job is much easier. The recruiter does not feel they have been the only one who gets students to enroll, it is the team that gets students to enroll. Eliminating a recruiter's ability to want an incentive would help.

Compensation can be given to everyone when enrollment is high by making the work place more enjoyable, improving the work place by upgrading furniture, adding work saving equipment.

If appreciation is shown to everyone based on the school's overal success, it isn't compensation for recruitment alone and itsn't given to just one person.

It could also be if profits reach a certain level for the year, everyone gets a bonus in their pay check.

Sandra

Sandra,

I was happy to read that you included all facets of school departments in your reply. You are right all jobs at the school are dependent upon student enrollment which in turn makes every associate responsible for meeting the needs of the students. You have offered great ideas...I think the fact of upgrading the workplace environment lets employees know that you care about them and their comfort. Thanks for your post.

Cindy Bryant

Listening to employee suggestions and including them in planning helps to motivate.

Positive reinforcement and compliments always work. We also like to give more responsibility and training. The more the employee knows the more confident they feel at doing their job

Annette,

Training is a great non-monetary motivational strategy...the better prepared a team is the more confident they become in their daily duties.

Cindy Bryant

YOu can motivate by having powerful conversations and investing in their success.

Sign In to comment