Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Positive re-inforcement to employees are the way to go. Being very proactive in showing recognition is very beneficial to keeping the positive atmosphere high in the office environment.

I believe that recognition among their peers will go a long way with employee’s, especially when higher management and corporate is involved. After enrollment is over and classes have begun, we have a companywide meeting to report on how the start went for the institution. This meeting will bring in our co-workers from other states, and is also video conferenced to the individuals that are not able to attend internally. I would agree that in this meeting business comes first, but this is also a great time to report on the great work that employees are doing for the company, and more importantly, for the students.

Recognition in this meeting will allow for the employee to be recognized and applauded for their contribution on a grand scale, and also allow for individuals that may not work directly with the employee to know what he/she does within the company.

A great way to motivate employees is to remind them that they are doing a quality service in helping potential students. The feeling of helping someone can make a job both enjoyable and rewarding. When an employee realizes somebody else's college future is at stake, they are likely to take the job more seriously and do whatever possible to make sure the potential student has accurate and honest information.

When this is done, positive feedback from managers will assure that it continues to happen.

I think that managers have to be well educated on the challenge that face the higher ed industry. They should also be abreast on situational ethics and have a strong moral integrity. It's important to keep in mind that although certain things aren't illegal they may result in a loss of reputation.

Marko,

Thank you for sharing such a great practice that is working so well for your schools.

Cindy Bryant

Brendan,

If you're in a leadership position, then you know that you have a responsibility to your team. They look to you for guidance and strength; that's part of what being a leader is. And a big part of your responsibility is to lead them with your own actions. The greatest leaders in history led by example. Thanks for reminding us.

Cindy Bryant

Managers can motivate by doing what is they want their employees to do. In order to take direction effectively from a manager it is important see them doing what they are saying. Also whether a superior is congratulating or critiquing behavior; doing so in a kind and professional manner.

As others have stated, our company praises the commitment and hard work each department has done for the overall goal. Just seeing the big picture is vital to our success.

Our company points out on a weekly basis the employees who have succeeded in different areas for recognition. The reward is typically a simple round of applause. It is always nice for your hard work to be noticed by your coworkers.

I think it takes a lot of creativity to be able to show employees that they are appreciated and are doing a good job without monetary compensation. The institution i work for tries very hard to let employees knows that they are not taken for granted. The friday before scheduling ends we all have an ice cream social. On fridays we sometimes have a popcorn machine to enjoy. We also play fun in house games against each other including putt putt golf and a game of darts. We have a lot of fun and it keeps the attitude positive. It has been proven that happy employees do better work and are more productive. We definitely live up to one of our core values, "Laugh. Play. work hard because you love it."

Sean,

It is wonderful that your company realizes the importance of recognition. The other important point her is that the recognition is consistent. Thank you for sharing.

Cindy Bryant

Bree,

Thank you for sharing these great creative ways to motivate employees.

Cindy Bryant

At the institution in which i work, we have weekly meetings where individuals from different areas in the company get recognized for a job well done by simply being mentioned as a "week's best" employee. Each department comes up with one or two, and that way there is recognition, and appreciation.

Positive feedback and recognition are the ways that our organization motivates employees.

Positive feedback...and food always motivates!

By constantly reminding us of how important our jobs are and how rewarding it can be. By helping someone enroll in college we sometimes forget how much we impact and change their life forever.

Michael,

According to a recent case study many employees are motivated by the opportunity to Learn, Develop and Advance as an Employee. Also, Flexible Hours, Recognition, Opportunity to Contribute and Independence and Autonomy. It sounds as if your motivator falls in the category of the opportunity to contribute.

Cindy Bryant

Managers can offer awards or incentives like gift certificates, time off, dress down day something that is not considered monetary.

Barbara,

Hi! It is important to remember that anything that can be exchanged for cash or goods is considered to be monetary. Therefore, gift certificates and time off would not be acceptable.

Cindy Bryant

I loved the comment on food and agree! I can also think of two other really good motivators for those who value their professional life...one is attending professional development activities, which is a great use of organizational time and money...the gift that keeps on giving. Also, strangely enough, time away from the office/campus, which could also be profession driven. Meeting with colleagues somewhere else, visiting other locations to observe and report back, or time to do a pet project that requires research or meetings away from campus, to name three.

Sign In to comment