Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Interaction with students

Finding common ground is key.

My interactions with students are pleasant, but kept on a professional level (Ms. So and So). I do not interact with students outside of the college or professional gatherings. I require the same of all of my staff and instructors.

Identifying the needs of the individual student but addressing them collectively helps to maintain a good solid and professional means of finding a common ground.

I find that finding something in common with the students gives me motivation to help them. It alos shows them that I dont just see them as another student or number.

i belive that a common ground is good. i know that the students that i admitt and i have a common ground as i have worked in the field of study they are going into. with this background i can explain the field of study to them more effectively, so they know exactly what to expect when they enroll.

I believe finding common ground with students is very important. It helps you build repore with them. I believe by doing this this builds the communication level between you and the student.

Every student in every class weill have different needs. Finding the main issue and working from there is a good start. Review with the class challanges for specific needs and work individually with students as time allows without allowing student to use his/her needs as a crultch. Show compassion to their needs.

i find that using my own experiences with those of the students, allow me to find common grounds for motivational conversations and inspirational guidance.

I agree. Establishing common ground also give the students a perspective that you are human as well, not just a robot put in front of them to shovel out information.

I recently had a student come to my office to tell me he had passed his licensure exam. I told him how proud I was of him and his success. He smiled at me and said "my success is your success, remember". He was quoting what I tell the students on the first day of class. I tell the new students that when they are successful I am successful. My student's career success is a huge common ground and motivator between us.

Excellent approach, John - great suggestion!

I also try to find something in common with students that struggle. Putting myself in their situation helps me focus on an appropriate plan of action specifically for them.

Finding the common ground is key ... students come to our institutions for a better life, better career, better options. I believe we can motivate them by providing them the big picture ... what will their current sacrifices provide them in the future?

I believe that common ground is motivational for my students because it shows that I care about their well being and success when I ask them questions about school and home life that maybe they thought i forgot about .(family ,children names, ect)

We all have all something in common on some level with each of our students. By locating the "common" we will connect and when we connect we are effective.

Agreed, Tracei. Do you have a system or method to track these personal items to help you remember and reference when you speak to the students?

Consistency it the key for me. I find that the students will respect you if they know what your standards and expectations are. You should treat everyone with respect and be consistent in the manner in which you deal with all students.

As a School Director dealing mainly with education, I feel one of the main parts of my job is to help each student that enrolls with us find exactly what it is about this career that interests them the most so that I can help keep them motivated through out their time in school so they can receive the maximum benefit from the education that we are providing for them.

That's great, Debbie. I have seen some schools note these items in the student's record (electronic or paper) to refer back to if the student considers dropping out of the program. Reminding them of what prompted them to pursue the program initiatially may assist in retaining them as a student and helping them reach graduation.

Dee - good point on consistency. That helps to build trust and respect, as you noted.

Sign In to comment