Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Dee - what a nice affirmation of your contribution to your students' achievements!

Good comments, Christine. Holding students accountable to overcome their obstacles rather than using them as an excuse will help them throughout their lives.

Finding common ground with a student sets them at ease and makes the process of financial aid not as scary.

Finding the common ground is key. Especially when communicating with a student over the phone and building a relationship. It gives the staff member a much more sympathetic view of the student and their individual situation. It also helps when referring the student to the appropriate person or department and make sure that the student feels acknowledged.

It will provide them with a better life and a better opportunity.

the most important thing is common ground and listen!

Thats true but in all of that I am careful not to make promises. But do tell them you will get out of this what you put in and that is from start to finish....

It is good to find something in common with students. I think it helps students to see that are not just a "robot" instructor or administrator, that you too, are human and may have the same likes, dislikes and/or struggles that they do. Just don't spend a whole lot of time dwelling on them -- it's better to let them know how it was resolved or solved.

Interactions with the students are very important. Building a rapport with the students allow them to trust you enough to tell you what could be hindering them from succeeding.

I agree common ground and building a good relationship is important with our students. Keeping a positive attitude and approach is also going to help in all interactions.

Part of building rapport with students is acknowledging the challenges they face in leading busy lives and attending Concorde. I like what our Mission Statement says about it: "We acknowledge their commitment and the financial and personal sacrifices they make to attend Concorde. We dedicate ourselves to making their sacrifices manageable and we commit to truly preparing them for success in a gainful healthcare profession." With these ideas in mind, I feel my communications come across more meaningfully.

I completely agree, Dee. I couldn't say it any other way.

I strongly believe in building a rapport with your students. I think it plays a stong role in establishing a learning environment.

i agree that finding common ground is key...i think when they realize that you are human also.. they begin to trust you... although , with that being said.. its important to know when to draw the line.. there definitly is a line of professionalism that should be reconed with...

Agreed if you find something that shows we are humans as well, will help the student absorb more information instead of focusing on financial aid being "scary".

Building a rapport with students is crucial. It benefits you and the student.

Trust and respect go a long way with students. Be honest with them. Follow through with the promise to call back or email. This reinforces trust.

Yes, finding common ground is important for the student to feel at ease in their learning environment.

Being honest with students is very important. I agree that we should never promise our students anything, but we can emphasize the pros and cons of attending the program and even with the cons we can turn it around to make it a positive.

I like how this mission incorporates some of the student expectations and responsibilities while also demonstrating the school's obligations in return.

Sign In to comment