Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Course Planning for Internationalization

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Course Planning for Internationalization

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

I am not sure if I am supposed to repeat the responses given for the video.  I think it would be fairly easy to develop assignments that internationalize assignments for competencies by using comparative examples.  For example, demonstrate an understanding of key differences in the manufacturing process between United States and developing countries.  Perhaps this could be assessed with a research project that involves a high-tech industry in the United States and a lower-tech industry in a developing country, which for one of my classes, could include looking at the differing efficiencies and cost advantages.  Some generalizations could be drawn between advanced and developing countries with this project.

Some lessons might be easier to internationalize than others.  Although, I can see also with the example given above that if students were required to share their research with their colleagues then they would probably also find it easier to draw the types of generalizations that the competency is assessing.

I made a change to my course descrption to make it have more of a global emphasis, but this will need to go through a process at my institution before it can be formally changed.

Jim and I have similar concerns.  If I add or change any objectives it will need to be approved for implementation, which can take a year + to change.  I believe I can add to the existing list without mandating it for every course to complete, but it is a bit hairy.

My Introduction to the Hospitality and Tourism course already has a multicultural awareness component.  I made changes to the course description emphasising on a global tourism context.  Early this semester I was able to integrate global competence and employability skills assignments/projects in the course as both formative and summative assessments.  

However, modifying course learning outcomes can be challenging as the decision has to be made and consented by a group of faculty members (Program Coordinator Council) across the University of Hawaii Community College system.  There is an articulation agreement that aligns the course learning outcomes for the same course offered at each campus.

I have started to make several revsions to my course syllabus.  Ironically, I found several professional organizations that have the standards listed in their domains for learning.  The standards helped me to justify and win approval for incorporating the international components into the syllabus.  

One thing I'm realizing is that, though I can design individual assignments to incorporate these principles, many of these suggestions will require buy in from a number of stakeholders. Curricular changes to things like outcomes and objecti and course descriptions go through a series of processes, and are assessed for their impact on various programs ano articulation of courses to other institutions.

Communication was brought up in one of the videos, something that is very important when considering an international component to CTE courses.  A former colleague that worked in furniture design and manufacturing used to tell the students, "learn Chinese."  Now I'm thinking of how that might be applied to my classes.  Some of what I teach is drawing and that can get around some or a lot of the limitations of spoken language.  

I have to coach faculty on how to develop their global courses and this gave me ideas on how to do that more effectively, both through planning on their syllabus, and following through to enriching or adding to curriculum.

This module gave me some ideas on identifying global aspects of my current curriculum and how to better incorporate and build on them. For example, on the first day of class, we watch Michale Pollan's, Botany of Desire which discusses plant influences on international economies and how plants have shaped human cultures. 

This module demonstrated a couple of good examples of how to start to internationalize my course by modifying a learning outcome and course description. One thing that comes to mind that I am challenged with is balancing the very broad "global" aspects of adding international elements to a course, while also focusing on a specific international area, country, or market.   I have started to make these changes to my syllabus but like others have mention this will have to go through the curriculum committee process for approval which is always challenging. 

This module offered some excellent suggestions for modifications to the course syllabus. The course I am using, Principles of Marketing, already has a  global marketing component to it.  I expanded an assignment in relationship to international advertising. Further, I modified a Learning Outcome and the course description, however, this would first require review and approval by various stakeholders as it would require a change to the course outline.

I've modified one Web Mapping course learning outcome as well as my course description to include a global perspective. One of the modules will ask students to interview an international student on our campus, and then share it out using web mapping.  The focus will be six-fold: 
1) Background information about the country - where are they from, etc. map based.
2) How to meet a person for the first time from their country.  formal/infomal
3) Holiday/special customs
4) How they've adjusted to life in the U.S.A.
5) Favorite restaurants/places that help them connect with their country - map based
6) Recommendations for how to connect with someone in the U.S.A. and from the country of interest.

I have identified the best ways I can internationalize a large percentage of my courses is to build onto my current student learning outcomes. By expanding and specifying within the SLOs I can add directed internationalization goals that will improve global competency.

I agree that internationalization and global competency are directly related to employability skills. While my curriculum naturally contains a lot of global perspective, I need to improve how I assess the students' progress on this to show intentionality and critical thinking skills too.

I teach in the Supply Chain/Logistics area and am working on internationalizing my Transportation Logistics course. I have one SLO that addresses the global supply chain so I think that is my starting point. I do think the SLO will need to be refined in order to effectively show what I need to show.

I have chosen one assignment that I will make a team assignment (even though students hate team assignments). I do need to refine the actual content and what I want students to accomplish and learn from the assignment.

I feel like most of my learning objectives can be internationalized fairly easily, which is exciting. 

In this module I learned the value of internationalizing my course outcomes along with the course description and to best align those to industry standards for enhancing employability skills. Because the course I chose is a general broad course it was more challenging than anticipated to globalize outcomes due to the volume of content already stated in the outcomes. 

I see the need to work around / with institutional as well as certifying organization parameters for course descriptions and learning outcomes effects many of us. Fortunately, I have the support I need from leadership to utilize the flexibility and freedom I do have with  my instruction and assessment.  The syllabi and rubric resources here are wonderful tools.

To incorporate course planning for internationalization, I will first conduct a thorough review of the curriculum to identify areas where global perspectives can be integrated. I will then modify learning objectives, course materials, and assignments to reflect diverse cultural perspectives and global issues. Additionally, I will seek opportunities to incorporate technology for virtual exchanges, cross-cultural collaboration, and access to international resources. Moreover, I will prioritize creating an inclusive learning environment where students feel empowered to share their diverse perspectives and experiences. By intentionally planning for internationalization, I aim to provide students with a comprehensive and enriching educational experience that prepares them for success in an interconnected world.

Sign In to comment