Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Module 1

The world is global now.  Students need to understand different ways of doing things based on different cultures, not just the way US based companies operate.  It's important.  Most of our manufacturing is done oversees due to cost.  Technology has broken down barriers, but also made things more risky due to the world being connected.  

Module 1

I am planning to have my students investigate the world more to learn about Graphic Design in other cultures. It is important for us to keep an open mind and understand that other cultures may view our designs a certain way.

Module !

Although I primarily teach American and Indiana history, I grapple with ways to place the material in national and international contexts as appropriate. For online courses, this frequently involves difficult to manage map displays.

I agree completely with the importance of developing student competencies within the four Domains, but the devil is in the details. Often tools are not readily available and more and more often, the available material no longer meets accessibility requirements.

Hopefully this course will provide some experience.

Module 1

I really liked the information about cultural competencies being vital to our workforce.  A small thing to us like shaking hands out of order could make negotiations more difficult right off the bat, and you wouldn't even know that anything had happened.  Something to really consider!

Module One

I appreciate that Digital Promise has taken the time to develop the crosswalk for the many career clusters. I am looking forward to digging into the resources they have available. 

Something that stuck out to me in this module is that students need a general outline - if you will - for how to develop global competencies. I try to include activities that requires them to research different areas of the world over a variety of topics, but have always wondered how to help them learn more. Especially since there is so much to learn about different countries and cultures. What struck me was the simple perspective to this, that maybe I need to spend more time and focus on developing a structure of steps that gives students a direct way to look into the aspects of a culture different from theirs before leaving and working in that environment, or a general list of cue phrases, or ways to identify there may be a difference in the middle of a conversation and how to be brave enough to ask for more clarification. Just a thought, but definitely something I am going to think about, and look at ways to have them practice and apply it. 

Module One

Introducing global perspectives into healthcare education will broaden students’ understanding of how culture influences healthcare delivery around the world. Through interaction with international PT/PTA students and educators, students can explore differences in healthcare systems, professional education, financial resources, cultural acceptance and inclusivity, and expectations for clinical practice and job performance.

Exposure to these differences encourages students to look beyond the healthcare system they already know and recognize that there may be multiple approaches to addressing similar healthcare challenges. By seeing and hearing the experiences of students and professionals from other cultures, students can develop greater cultural awareness, adaptability, empathy, and openness to change.

It will help prepare students to become more culturally responsive healthcare professionals who understand that effective patient care requires not only clinical knowledge, but also an appreciation for the diverse cultural, social, educational, and economic factors that influence health and healthcare across the world.

Hello!

I'm looking forward to the class and finding new ways to help my students navigate the global workforce!

Global Competencies in Graphic Design

I learned about the four domains of Global Competency and how importantly they aligned with my field of Graphic Design.

Global Economy

New to this, I am excited to see how I can incorporate this into my classroom. 

Engaging diverse kiddos

Throughout this module on engaging diverse students, I learned the importance of recognizing and valuing the unique backgrounds and experiences that each student brings to the classroom. I discovered strategies for building an inclusive environment that promotes collaboration and respect among students from various cultural, linguistic, and socioeconomic backgrounds.

To apply this knowledge, I plan to incorporate differentiated teaching methods tailored to the diverse needs and learning styles of my students. This will involve using culturally relevant materials, fostering open discussions about diversity, and implementing cooperative learning activities.

Engaging Diverse Students

In this module, I have learned the importance of integrating global competence and social justice into Career and Technical Education (CTE) programs to better prepare students for an increasingly international workforce. As an agriculture teacher, this knowledge is particularly relevant because agriculture is a global industry that relies on diverse cultural perspectives, international trade, and sustainable practices. 

By applying the Global Social Justice Framework, I plan to incorporate lessons that highlight the global impact of agriculture, such as food security, sustainable farming practices, and ethical considerations in agribusiness. Additionally, I will strive to understand and integrate my students’ diverse experiences into my teaching, ensuring that all students feel represented and empowered in their learning. Through hands-on projects, discussions on global agricultural issues, and exposure to different farming techniques from around the world, I can help students develop both technical skills and a broader understanding of their role in the global agricultural community. 

Ultimately, this module has reinforced my commitment to fostering an inclusive, globally aware classroom where students are equipped with the knowledge and skills needed to thrive in the evolving agricultural industry.

Engaging Diverse Students

One of the most important things I’ve learned about engaging diverse students is that inclusivity, cultural relevance, and differentiation are key to fostering a positive and effective learning environment. Students come from different backgrounds, abilities, and learning styles, so creating a space where everyone feels valued and supported is essential.

Faculty Module #1: Importance of Global Competence for CTE Programs

From this module, I learned about the critical importance of global competence in career and technical education (CTE) programs. It highlighted the need for students to be aware of and understand different perspectives, effectively communicate with diverse groups, and apply their knowledge to solve both local and global challenges.

I intend to apply this by integrating global learning components into my future teaching. For example, I can design projects where students explore local issues, like sustainability practices in our community, and connect them to global topics, such as climate change.  
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 

CT211 Faculty Module #1: Importance of Global Competence for CTE Programs

Thanks to this introduction, we have a new global perspective, new lines of work are opened to be able to face the dynamic challenges that are constantly evolving and adapting, the disruption in education, working with groups with diverse cultural backgrounds and thus being able to prepare to train students with approaches towards a global work and perspective, with opportunities for internalization.

Faculty Module #1: Importance of Global Competence for CTE Programs

From this module, I have learned the importance of preparing students for a globally interconnected workforce, especially in career and technical education (CTE) programs. It has highlighted how essential global competence is for students entering diverse and international markets. By understanding how to integrate global perspectives into course materials, I now recognize opportunities to help students develop skills that will allow them to collaborate effectively across cultures.

I plan to apply this by incorporating more global content and real-world examples into my teaching, emphasizing the value of cross-cultural communication and international career readiness.

Faculty Module #1: Importance of Global Competence for CTE Programs

Module #1 helped me understand the critical role global competence plays in preparing students for success. I learned that global competence is more than just knowledge of different cultures; it encompasses a wide range of skills, including critical thinking, problem-solving, cultural awareness, and effective communication.

I intend to incorporate more global perspectives into my curriculum: using real examples from around the world, discussing global issues and current events, and encouraging students to collaborate with their classmates. Additionally, I plan to create a classroom environment that fosters cultural understanding and respect.

 

211

I am excited to give my courses another dimension. This has made me much more aware of the need to globalize my business classes. It is important that I stay as current as possible.

Introduction

I thought the material was well organized and easy to understand. I look forward to participating in this project and offering my students the opportunity to grow and benefit from it.

CT211 Intro Module 1

The warning to walk a mile in someone else's shoes would be a good motto in developing a better view of our global economic community, you must be able to understand their experiences, challenges, thought processes, etc. and help us practice empathy in our own learning prcess.

Introductory Module

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Introductory Module

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.