Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Engaging Diverse Students

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Engaging Diverse Students

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

The Nepalese cuisine class project was exceptional.  It’s a great way to break it down and explain the component parts.  I could see how this might also be interesting in reverse, such as students wanting to open a restaurant with traditional American cuisine in a foreign country, which would allow the students to focus intricately on the foreign culture and what would be most accepted and what dishes would need to be adapted.  I have used some similar examples and case studies in my economics classes relating to how corporations, such as McDonald's, have adapted their menu items to local cultural norms.

For a tech savvy class, I could see how this class project could be used to develop an app that might be of broad interest in a foreign country.  Students would be required to come up with an app concept, research the economics, cultural, and political realm of the other country, and explain why the app could be successful.  There are often students who are very interested in foreign countries but had never been to that country, but they have learned much about the local market and culture from the Internet.  This would seem to be a delightful way for students to combine tech, with which they are intimately familiar, with foreign cultures.

I also really like this concept of using a larger group project that can be broken down into pieces.  I find that I am often trying to pack numerous application lessons into a term so that each week has an appropriate series of examples, but perhaps the level of engagement and application would be higher for an ongoing project.  In particular, micro-case studies have only a brief opportunity to collect evidence, analyze, and sharing results, and identifying and implementing changes often is provided very cursorily so that we can move on to the next lesson.  However, this certainly is a benefit in exploring each of these factors in depth so that students obtain a real-world experience and greater immersion.  I like the approach!

I feel very connected to this module as I have a diverse group of students representing several international locations. They were assigned a final project to open a restaurant that serves their global cuisine. The final project requires students to describe the history of the cuisine, location of the restaurant, menu creation based on their target market; and design and layout of the facility.   International themes, music and decorations round out the ambiance in the restaurants.

There are a couple of weeks throughout the semester where they work in groups; making decisions on whether to buy local produce, import seafoods, etc.  This an excellent way for the students to share their perspectives on the needs of their community, share information on and develop a greater understanding of other international cultures; what

Students develop a global leadership perspective as they engage in the project to become International ethnic restaurant owners.

I enjoyed the Columbia University video on Conceptual Learning. We learn by connecting information to what we already know. The idea helps me to instruct the students to make more connections to the prior knowledge and then hold on to that knowledge for new learning.  

The Thinking Break scenario is useful.  Those questions prompt me to better guide the students in making career field connections and effectively investigating cultural communication styles. 

Also, I'll definitely take a closer look at the Global Leadership Performance Outcomes and may blend the creteara into our Program Student Learning Outcomes.  I can create an instrument that assesses our students at the exit level of the program with global competence outcomes. Subsequently, the results will be presented to the annual college program report and external accreditation report.

Student engagement can be tricky one, but with this resource it can be increased and maximized.  I plan to explore new ways to implement this into my courses.  

I can see designing writing a series of writing assignments that would maybe build around applying for a job or internships abroad. Students would need to research a range of written and interpersonal communicatjon skills as well as very practical things about living and working in their target country.

I enjoyed the Nepali cuisine example.  In the History of Furniture course I teach the students have the opportunity to research and share information about furniture history from their birth countries.  We have a lot of students from India and they have presented information about Indian furniture over the past several years, enhancing the knowledge of the rest of the students and myself as well. 

I appreciated both the Columbia video and the Nepalese cusine assignment.  The Columbia culture reminded me of the value of connecting prior knowledge. 

I also loved the questions --I will use an adaptation of that in the first Active play course I teach to help students begin to think about how their background and culture influences their thinking about Play and learning.

I appreciated the CTE survey and the get to know you activity. I think I will be incorporating it into the Getting Started section of my courses. 

I agree with what other's have said about the Nepalese cuisine class project.  I thought that was a great example in this module.  My courses are very project focused, and I find that my students learn best with a kinesthetic approach.  Working individually or in group projects, my students are able to learn and apply concepts while also being creative.  This also fits nicely into the Global Social Justice Framework, and building in global themes and topics into the projects could be easily done. 

I enjoyed the Napalese example and it is similar to a team Marketing Plan Project that I  use in my classes. I look forward to incorporating various aspects from this module into  the project which can begin with the CTE Journey Assignment to help form more effective and diverse student teams. Further, student prior learning as well as their career goals can be used to assign students the appropriate roles on each team. Further, scaffolding can be incorporated into the project to help insure greater student success. 

I thought the video from CU on Conceptual learning is a fundamental concept to be reviewed for many instructors along with scaffolding. The rubric was very detailed and would like to see one or two video examples in the use of the rubrics as I do for my classes when introducing a rubric to my students. I believe those two concepts would make a strong foundation in any course.

I'm thoroughly enjoying these modules!  I've been thinking about tying together DEI, virtual internships, and workforce in a new grant proposal.  Thanks to module 2 (had to watch) and module 3, a outline is starting to come together!  

Some highlights in module 3 for me include:

• The Global Workforce Skills Certificate example from Ivy Tech
  • Student mentioning they talked to tech support from another country
  • self-assessment

One thing that stands out for me is the importance of knowing my students. It will help in creating and forging knowledge. From this module I am beginning to get a picture of what a truly internationalized course is

Comment on Janette Roy's post: This illustrates what can be referred to as learning by doing. I believe this whole new world order is interesting as it seeks to tear down the barriers that normally creates problems for globalization in general. You made great comments

This module affirmed what I have been attempting to do with my students, yet it provides an organized and scaffolded manner in which to do it.  

I found new insights and ideas in this module and especially thought the Nepalese restaurant project was innovative and impactful. 

I really enjoyed this module and found the Nepalese cuisine project very helpful. I also think knowing and understanding your students is vital creating a positive CTE experience. I found the Columbia University example very informative as well.

I really appreciate all of the resources available here.  After just completing a Global Cuisines course - oo late for this training :( -  I r could have used t and will be able to incorporate next time, the virtual field trip handout in association with the Study Abroad Assn virtual field trips I had assigned.

This module offered many suggestions and valuable learning tools for faculty to take to the classroom. Central Piedmont's Culinary Arts  program is very diverse. The Nepalese cuisine project gave me further insight on other opportunities to increase globalization beyond employment and cuisine.

Sign In to comment