Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Managing Perkins Funds | Origin: LC160

Do you think it is important for educators to understand the management standards covered in this module?  How, if at all, do you think the need to follow these federal requirements affect what goes on inside classrooms?

I believe it is important for educators to understand the purchase and retention process for the supplies and equipment in their classrooms. Educators are held accountable for all Perkins inventory and must ensure proper steps are taken when the inventory items become obsolete or are no longer needed.

As CTE instructors, they are stewards of federal tax dollars. It is imperative that all staff (whether support or primary) that work with CTE understand the general rules and regulations surrounding accountability measures with Perkins.

The guidelines are important for local educators to understand, especially the threshold of equipment and the responsibility for the inventory for 'walkables' under $5,000 that will need to be monitored. 

I think the guidelines are vitally important to ensure that funds are spent in the manner that best supports CTE programming for students.

I think it is important that both the CTE Administrators and CTE teachers who are receving the supplies and equipment understand the governing rules and expectations of managing those purchases.  

Within my college, I see a strong need to share the governing rules and expecatations of spending.  With a greater understanding, additional uses may be identified while eliminating requests for items/positions that do not qualify.

It is important for educators understand the management standards of Perkins. Following the standards in the classroom does affect classroom instruction.

YES! Federal and state governing practices and laws. 

Yes, it is important to understand the rules and procedures that go along with the available funding.

It is not only important for the educators to understand, but also for those who administer the grant dollars locally to understand the rules and procedures so that the maximum benefits can be gotten from the funding.  When I was at the state level, I often had to explain over and over to local administrators that some PD opportunities that happen in the summer ARE eligible and can be obligated for their grant.  Some LEAs would only allow PD during the school year and often, those PD opportunities were not as specific to the CTE area that the eduators needed to enhance the quality of their teaching and the quality of their courses.

It is critical that educators understand some of the basic principles of managing Perkins. The first one that comes to mind is the procurement and purchasing process. Many instructors are key decision-makers in choosing supplies and equipment, especially in CTE where they are usually the industry expert. These educators need the basic financial practices of their school and/or district outlined specifically so they understand the rules, paperwork, and time it takes to receive the desired supplies and equipment for their classrooms and labs. 

It is important to understand where money comes from and how it can be used. 

If money is not used correctly, then states or districts can put themselves in danger. 

Yes ~ it is very important to understand where money comes and how it can be used

It is critically important for anyone, whether it be an administrator or faculty/instructors/staff, to be aware of all the regulations set forth by Perkins.  We are all held accountable for the money provided to us and need to properly use the funds as allowed.  This is a good way to have checks and balances within the school.  

The individual(s) responsible for the oversight and management of the Perkins funds should have an in-depth knowledge of the management standards outlined.  It is their responsibility to ensure that those who receive specific funding for an approved activity or authorized procurement understand the specific standard applicable to that award.  

Yes, I think it is important for educators to understand the management standards covered in this module because this can help them lesson plan and make sure they have all the class materials they need in time.  Plus, this will help them understand the grant timelines and why certain orders need to be mad at certain times of the year.

Yes, it is important to understand the rules that accompany the funding.

Yes, it is important for the CFO, the site administrators and the CTE instructors to have a clear understanding of the management of Perkins funds.  It is especially important, I think, for the CTE instructors to make time to create a plan that allows them to make the purchases in a timely manner.

Sign In to comment