Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Professionalism/Work Ethic | Origin: EC116

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Integrating Career Readiness Into Your Courses: Part II -->Professionalism/Work Ethic

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

It would be wise to teach the students that Professionalism doesn't just mean "I dressed up."  It also means keeping up to date on technical and job skills, good communication practices, and being easy to work with. 

Students need to know, good work ethic goes along way in reflecting your values and character towards your work. Professionalism and Work Ethic is what employers need to keep synergy in the workplace and reduces conflict. Treat others how you like to be treated resepectfully.

I would say professionalism is an attitude that results in behaviors, like dressing approrpiately, interacting with others with courtesy and respect, and being on time for meetings and for work.

It is more than being in the right place, at the right time, wearing the correct uniform.  Being professional and have the right work ethic will allow students and potential employees to standout.  This positive discriminator may be the determining factor for hiring, promoting and excelorating the satisfaction of job performance.  Both professialims and work ethic are valuale traits.

Implementing Professionalism is a key factor in Job readiness. Teaching students that professionalism means understanding the expectations and meeting the expectations. 

professionalism goes far beyond just looking nice and dressing nice.  I learned that professionalim means respect for yourself, your employer, and employees that you are working with.  

Professionalism is about more than a professional appearance. It is an attitude of respect and a willingness to work hard and be open-minded. It also means carrying yourself well both in person and online.

Our college requires military-like uniform inspections even though the real world seems to be more lenient.  We are stressing pride in appearance.

In discussion with local stakeholders and professional partners, it has become clear that issues of professionalism are on the forefront of concerns amongst business owners. These soft skills are significantly lacking and are having a negative impact on their bottom line in greater measure than under-trained employees. 

As a hiring manager, after resumes have been accepted for having met the minimum requirements to hold the position, the most significant aspect of the interview is the professional component.  All aspects of the interview needs to reflect the individual's level of professionalism.  A weakness in this area can negate an applicant from consideration even if the applicant is more qualified than the others.

Professionalism includes appropriate attire but also professionalism includes respecting yourself, your employer, and your colleagues.  Social media is also an area that one must act in a professional manner. 

I love teaching professionalism in our ethics section, we offer mock interviews where we discuss not just interview skills but also professional dress. I'm going to start adding more open discussion to get more feedback from the students on their personal experiences with professional dress as well as offer more visual photo references.

I work hard in my classroom to share all kinds of professionalism lessons with my students. It is more than just professional dress and I enjoyed learning in this unit. 

Professionalism and time management is very important in the development of the students. It will make or break their careers.

Professionalism is a key component to getting a job and being successful at that job. It is not always how we dress but how we interact with others and the things we do and say. For me, I can apply this in my classroom when teaching students about the real world. Discussing with them what professionalism is. 

It is very hard to teach professionalism without real-world experience like an internship or work-study.

I do find it difficult to teach professionalism when students are in a variety of developmental stages of adulthood. I teach stacked classes with freshmen through seniors. Some take the topic very seriously others do not. 

Sign In to comment