Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The Psychology of Student Engagement | Origin: EC110

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Reaching High-Levels of Student Engagement --> The Psychology of Student Engagement

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

I have learn that prodcutive talk leads to learning.  Engagement is the key to remain focused on the student perspective. I also learn that the teachermusy encourage metacognition through molding it, explaining their thoought  process when introducung content information, and teach the students to label their knowledge and that of their classmates during discussion.

I agree that engagement is the key for students to remain focused.  The they need to know the answers to the 3 questions:

Am I interested?, Can I do this?, Does it matter?

If we design our lessons with these questions in mind then student engagement will increase, once this happens then using productive talk and modeling metacognition will increase retention of the information.

I learned about the success and value in having students engage in discussions with one another about what they are learning, and grading that discussion rather than giving quizzes.  What struck me most was that if you focus on formative assessments/productive talk, then students are forming those connections to the material rather than being stuck on the "correct answer."  One activity that came to mind, was when working on a project and having students pair and share their progess, one success and one challenge for 30s. 

I totally agree with the ideas that students must be engaged for true learning to occur.  It can be very difficult to find the right level and expectations for all students in a class and these talking techniques are a good way for students to work with one another and not have anyone feel like they cannot do an assignment.  Practicing the same vocabulary throughtout a course is a very good idea for not having that slump that was discussed.

I agree with group talk. If we are trying to gauge what the kids know, I find it easiest to hear it. Anyone can write down the information, but I like to be able to hear that the students are deciphering it and using their own words to explain it.

I've learned how to bring student engagement back into the classroom.  Through COVID and students returning to the classroom, restrictions have made it so students can't move about the room.  I've learned how student talk engages learners and creates often listeners.  I've engaged in group talk at AVID seminars and know how effective it is from a student persepective. 

There needs to student engagement. I saw the difference in my students from virtual learning, to hybrid learning, to full in-class learning. In each stage, there were specific restrictions that they had to follow while on campus.  I know that when we are passed COVID there will be a difference in student interaction and engagement in the classroom. Students need hands-on interaction and accessibility to project-based learning with touching and seeing how it works. 

I believe also with keeping the student engaged, giving the student respect, they will stay engaged and be engaged more often.

Am I interested?  Can I do this?  Does it matter?  A new direction in how I design my lesson planning from now on.  Hopefully, this will

engage a greater number of students, make the class more interesting to them, an demonstrate a higher level of acheivement from the students. 

I learned that engagement begins at specific points and that productive talk is speaking that leads to learning. I plan on designing lesson plans to include strategies tailored to multiple learning styles.

Making activities relevant is so important.  When students know how a skill will be useful and connected to their life, they are so much more eager to engage.  

Increasing student participation and understanding of material is a goal that all teachers strive for. I am excited to try these techniques in my classroom and think they will be very beneficial. I could already see different ways to work productive talking strategies into my lesson plans while learning about it myself.

I have focused most of my class grade on project and work skill interaction. The final certification exam is produced through the state but is less important to the job market.

I experienced the relevance of the value of enhanced discussion and the power of thinking about thinking to evoke powerful and meaningful learning. 

I think it's important to remember that experience can be just as important as taking tests and quizes.

CTE is about teaching where the grass dirt and gravel all meet.  We empower kids to be able to work in groups and do whatever is asked.

I have really enjoyed this module! The 30-second Talk-about is GENIUS!! I am so excited to use this in my classes this year! It is humbling to realized I've been "doing it all wrong" all these years - Lecture, lecture, lecture -- that is what was modeled for me as "good teaching" where the teacher was the source of all knowledge & answers and students were empty vessels waiting to be filled. I am so excited and grateful for all these tools I am gaining through these courses. Thank you! Thank you! 

A very important part of student engagement in CTE is "Show, don't tell". Students typically do not like to sit in a classroom listening to someone lecturing - they want to be shown and then be able to duplicate and understand the concepts taught. This involves more of a true learning experience vs. memorization. Just because you know the correct answers doesn't mean you can churn out the proper results when tasked with a project.

Students are social beings. They learn socially. Increase their participation in your class by allowing them to lead discussions, small talks, and activities. Facilitate!

Sign In to comment