Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Social Networking Sites

How has the popularity of social networking sites such as facebook, twitter, etc., affected communications with prospective students?

Does your school have a marketing plan that includes the use of social networking sites?

My school has allowed social networking. They have added a direct FB page and it is updated often to make our must current news relevant to the university. It also allows our students to keep in touch and promote our school based on their experiences.

I am not sure if there is a marketing plan, but our school does have a Twitter & Facebook account that prospective students can follow or post to.

To be honest, I don't know if we have a Facebook page or not. But for an institution like this I don't know how great an idea that would be.
If you have one student that has a bad day and blasts the school in a post. Who knows how many people that could reach before it gets deleted off the page. In the age of technology it's easy enough to get either a good or bad word out into cyber space. I think they should skip this one.

Our school has a marketing plan that does utilize social networking sites. Through the use of the social media, our students are kept informed of changes to schedules, course updates and additions, as well as special alumni information.

Yes it does. I also ask permission during interview for the best method of communication as there is now so many technical methods to use and asking does break down some walls of resistance.

At this time I am not aware of my school using social networking sites to further advance admission prospects. I personally believe it would be an effective tool seeing that most people are engaged in that sort of network. I think there needs to be some implmentation for social media. Times have changed and so have our audiences. We must keep up with the times and stay relevant to new prospective students.

We use social networking sites to discuss topics that are of interest to our students and our alumni. We also allow students and potential students to ask questions that can be answered by a professional. I think it is a great resource.

Students are on this daily. Many schools have even integrated it into their blackboard systems. It's almost as easy to facebook someone as it is to call them.

Our marketing director posts on Facebook.

Is it mandatory for social networking sites to have the schools registration number posted somewhere?

This seems like a good plan! So many will comment on facebook etc. and not answer phones or texts :)

Our school does use social media in our marketing plan. I do believe this is good asset to reach out to students and be able to converse with each other specially when going to school online.

Cindi,

Yes, the school's registration number should be on the Facebook site.

Kimberly Stein

Social Media has made a huge impact in the world of Marketing. It is a place where students and the general population can come together and have open discussions. It is an option in Marketing that we are currently exploring.

My University does utilize Social Networking sites such as Facebook and Twitter to promote important deadlines in the admissions process. Since so many of our students are used to online classes, it gives a great transition into the student's world of Facebook and Twitter to reach out and show that our University has a popular online presence. We also have a marketing plan which includes these networking sites to reach our main demographic of online users looking for the flexibility of online courses through an accredited university.

Social networking sites have tremendously affected communications with prospective students in a positive way. Students are now able to communicate through these venues when they may not have a phone or other type of communication resource. I have found that most prospective students prefer to communicate this way because of its popularity. Our school uses social networking sites to market to our prospective students, current students, and alumni.

My school utilize the social networking site for prospective students, mostly facebook. Because of the connection with so many word to mouth can help or hurt a school. My school everytime I log into a social network thier logo or messages come up. I think it plays a large part of the communication as well as the school being a familiar name in the household.

Social media is the fastest way students reach out toe ach other these days. Good and bad experiences are shared across the Nation in a moments notice. My school embraces social media as a means to showcase our programs, commitment to students and giving them an additional means to reach the school.

I think that using social networking is very beneficial to every school more specifically for the individual campuses. When you go to the school's website you may not get the specific programs offered at your campus. So by having a facebook page, prospective students will know what is or is not offered at the location they are planning to attend.

Of course social networking sites do affect communications with prospective students. People especially young adults are always on social networking sites. In fact sometimes it is the best way to communicate with prospective students because people stay on social networking sites.

Sign In to comment