Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I feel that the majority of students don't read in depth the enrollment agreement - they do ask particular questions about being obligated to financial aid once they have signed the enrollment paperwork, but I make sure to go over each section and let them know to please read carefully before signing so they are comfortable with what they are signing.

In the interviews I have observed, most have not been asking policy questions. Most seem to be about their personal concerns starting back to school and financial resources. Even when all of the details are explained at length during the signing of the enrollment agreement, most just nod their heads.

Yes, I receive a number of questions about the policies. Most prospective students have questions about tuition and fees and at times job placement. I've also gotten questions about transfer courses and whats required to do so.

Is there ever such a thing as being too thorough? I see students who lose interest as the policies are being explained in depth. I understand that we are required to address these policies, but is there a point where talking too much about them can lose a prospective student?

I rarely get asked about the enrolment agreement, students just accept that they have to sign it and do not read it. Sometimes a student will ask about getting the registration fee refunded or if signing it obligates them to anything. This is usually a red flag and means that the student may not be ready to enroll in school at this time. They probably have some additional concerns that they need to have addressed.

I find most students ask about courses and hours. And they wonder about professional development after graduation.

the more mature students ask the most questions. They are the ones that are the most informed in other areas as well.

I'm a new hire. But I've sat in a handful of interviews and have yet to see any students ask questions about the policies or statements contained in the schools enrollment agreement.

Yes, I agree with what Justina said. Once the student discloses that they have a disability, we must take the necessary steps to proceed. And contact the dean for further assistance

It is my experience that most students do not ask a lot of questions about the enrollment agreement.
The rules and policies are very clearly stated. One area that does generate questions from potential students is about the transferability of credits.

I don't work with students through the admissions enrollment process, however I that the degree to which students ask questions varies from student to student.

I understand that going through the material may seem boring to a student after a while but does that not send up a red flag in and of itself? This student is going to be sitting through lectures that may be repetitve at times. Should we not let them know that this is an opportunity for the student to inform themselves and use us as a resource? If the student cannot sit through a simple explanation of something as important as an enrollment agreement, how are they going to fair going into classes? We need to let them know that this is all part of the educational process.

I agree that reading an enrollment agreement is extremely boring and also a waste of time. Our students are not lawyers and the school will not change an enrollment agreement even if a student objects to part of it. If a student truly wants to go to school they sign the agreement, if they do not trust the school and want to look at all the minutiae in the agreement they will either not sign the agreement or will cancel it in the 5 days allowed.
Signing an enrollment agreement is a matter of turst and respect for the institution, if a student wants to know how many days they have to cancel the contract most likely they are not ready to make a commitment.
Our students are busy people often with families, jobs and limited cell phone minutes, reading an enrollment agreement is a waste of time for them. In 5 years in the business I have had less than 5 people read the agreement and thankfully many more successful students!

Mariana,

Great point. Thank you for bringing this up.

Kimberly Stein

Pauline,

The enrollment agreement is a contract between the school and the student. While you certainly cannot force a student to read the enrollment agreement, students need to understand that it is an important document. Even if they don't want to take the time to read it during the enrollment process, you should encourage them to read it at home and ask any questions they may have before the 5-day cancellation period expires.

John Ware

Actually, yes. I've listened to an enrollment agent cover almost every page in a catalog. Policies and procedures need to be clear, however, covering the history of the school, teachers,and what every class is, is a bit too much.

I have found that if you have followed the 10 step process precisely, then the enrollment agreement is just a recap of what you should've already covered. Students will still have questions, but nothing should be a total surprise or shock.

Well I haven't got a chance to work as as an admissions rep yet but I can see them asking questions about policies and statements presented in the enrollment agreement. I also believe that our enrollment agreement is thorough. Yet I am not against further explaining and and giving further information about the stuff within my realm of responsibility and legally allowed to talk about.

Not really, I make sure to explain them. This is the first time many of my students have been going through this process, so they may not know what questions to ask. Most questions come from the parents when going through the enrollment process. They ask about being able cancel everything if financial aid does not work out and what that includes. For the most part I have had an easy time with the enrollment agreement, I make sure to explain everything in advance.

I have definitely also see students lose focuse if you read every detail of the enrollment. I think it's good to give them a thourough overview, but I think it is equally important to emphasize that they should take the time to read through the documents themselves. I think it's good to take the time to explain, check their understanding, and then reinterate the importance of reading the documents through.

Sign In to comment