Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

To reach a broader market share, to compete with competitor schools, for convenience to the students, to accomodate the "Y Generation," and to utilize technology skills for students.

To be competitive in the market. In today's world many individuals want to go back to school, but "life happens" and a classroom setting might not work. Offering online programs not only enhances the schools market but also makes it more convient of the student to learn on there time.

I agree, most of my students like the idea of working at their own pace, between getting home from work, picking up the kids and so on.

More competitive market and lets the students learn at their own pace.

Many quality answers have been addressed on this board including: Growth, flexibility, meeting the needs of adult learners. I would like to offer another reason for offering distance education: FACULTY. As a distance program, you open yourself up to MUCH wider labor pool. As we started our online program I am amazed by the amount of great talent that is available to us!

It is evolution and I believe it could not be other way. Let me explain.
Acquiring and sharing knowledge is one of the most important things for human beings and we have always used the best tools that are available to accomplish the task. So it is only natural than in a society that put some much emphasis on information technologies we use them as a tool for learning.

The Internet has changed a lot of things. It is one gigantic paradigm shift. The delivery of information is now so cost effective, schools will become irrelevant if they don't embrace this method of information delivery in their business model.

What's more dynamic is using a virtual environment like Second Life, where many large corporations and schools are porting some of their classes. I see a similarity between what the requirements of online classes are and the requirements to port to Second Life, is this the same?

Accommodation for the student with a quality online program will send the message that the institution is flexible and educationally effective. Students can be retained when, through unexpected life changes, they need to move from the brick and mortar school. Instead of enrolling in another school, perhaps the online offerings can accommodate and retain more students.

It is essential for the post-secondary student to have computer literacy skills when entering the workforce and this is a good way to give them that.

Students need to be aware of other types of educational opportunities besides traditional on ground courses.

online schools provide an immense variety of online courses designed for the self-motivated learner who would like to better his personal and professional outlook .
Schools needs to be competitive in this market
:-)

It's a great benefit to use the online service, to continue the personal and professional growth.

Competition, schools must be continuosly updating and offering more online courses and programs.

Since we currently do not have online courses, I am researching to find the best programs for our small business college

Because of the current competence

online schools provide an immense variety of online courses designed for the self-motivated learner who would like to better his personal and professional viewpoint

Institutions do need to reach more students, especially those (1) in areas where face-to-face classes are inaccessible, (2) who can't afford the expense of traveling to classes or dorming/renting near a campus, (3) who can't afford the cost of regular tuition that is often much more expensive, (4) have conflicting work schedules, and (5) fear the atmosphere of large classes.

Reaching international students is also a great goal. Many people abroad would love to study in the U.S. but the cost is prohibitive and they fear failure in a second language. Online courses no only provide the opportunity for the experience but also provide another culture's perspective on a subject. And these experiences may bolster some students' confidence in studying abroad.

Most of our information is acquired via the internet. Most institutions are now offering some sort of online course. If you want to remain competitive in this market online courses is vital to the success of your institution.

Our program is a unique program that is marketable to a specific occupation. We are moving to online courses to provide flexibility to our students, allow students from other areas of the state to participate, to increase retention, and to utilize less classroom space. This occupation also uses a lot of technology and our program will assist in their developing of those skills.

Other schools like mine are offering on-line education. Even though our school teaches Makeup Artistry which is 60% hands-on, I have to become competitive and at least offer theory on-line. Also it will save the school and the student money and allow us to increase enrollment numbers.

Sign In to comment