Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

First and foremost, being a for-profit organization, online courses mark a higher level of competition with other schools.

Other important factors to beginning an online program include:
providing a delivery method to students that they are comfortable with; acquiring more students through distance learning; and expanding to prove our worth of being a "technological school".

Let's face it, students today would rather read on an android than a book, more students can be found around the world, and a truly technological school should have some kind of online presence and learning.

Competiveness, flexibility, classroom space, needs of the market, costs, accessability, virtual environment approach are among some of the reasons why Institutions offer online courses and programs today.

The need to stay focus on technology and the cost effectiveness of a classroom based course vs. an online course are basic factors institutions need to look at as two of the reasons why they should embark in online programs.

With today's economy most students are required to work; requesting flexible schedules. The only way to retain these students is to offer them alternative means to complete their courses and not be tied to an only classroom based program.

Many of our students are single parents and occasionally have difficulty arranging childcare. Online courses make it easier for them to fit classes into their schedule and feel less stressed about missing class or assignments.

To accomodate working professional students with full time jobs, career and families. Accelerate on-line courses 24/7 allow a greater flexibility to students so they can complete their degree bachelor, master or phd in a shorter period of time, allowing to take classes from work,home or anywhere.

The institution that I am currently with has a very small campus in New Jersey that has been offering programs to the local population for over 25 years. By offering the programs online, the institution has been able to grow and to access a much larger network.

The addition of online programs has also benefited the local student population. The campus has been upgraded and the ground programs converted to onsite/online programs. This modality gives the students the hands-on support of a ground campus witht he flexibility of online. Students are able to get help from the ground instructors and also the much larger network of online instructors.

Therefore, the introduction of online programs has made the institution competitive, has helped to keep all the curriculum current with the market, and has enhanced technology instruction for all students, online and ground.

The institution that I teach at now offers over 450 courses online and offers a large training program for its instructors. I feel fortunate to have had this training, but do not know the history of how it got started.

However, I can surmise that it's because, as a community college in an area without a lot of post-secondary options, it's to offer our constituents more opportunities for education.

Unfortunately, due to severe budget cuts, despite such a large number of courses, we still have not met demand. Online and hybrid courses are very popular and full to capacity. I know the college hopes to expand when possible.

I know another primary factor has been the emphasis on technology for both teachers and learners. Even face-to-face instructors rely heavily on Blackboard (our learning management system) for use in the classroom--for grading, in-class teaching, assessments, submitting papers (SafeAssign--anti-plagiarism), and supplemental support for students' homework. It has been invaluable for my lesson planning too as I load everything I need into Blackboard, some the students can see and some they can't, and I can use it all in class (projector). It has my handouts, exercises, power points, video links, web links--everything!

Using this system has definitely enhanced the learning environment at our school and I know it will continue.

We are trying to stay competitive, right now we have a classroom based program nad some online courses but we need to give the school a change and open a program online. we also want to maximize classrom space and increase the offer and alternatives for nontraditional students and we want to increase the enrollment.

To stay competitive but also streamline efficiencies and increase student technological awareness and to stay industry job focused.

Students have the opportunity to get involved in a variety of activities which allow them to learn more and faster. They also develop skills and attitudes during the online program that help them to reach full potential. Besides, students benefit from a flexible schedule to complete drills, quizzes, and test.

Offer courses online allow:
To enroll more students without the costs of rent or acquiring classrooms space.
To reach market segments (group of students) that could be limited by the distance
To do the institution more competitive

Institutions offer online courses because that became then more competitive, allow to enroll more students without to increase the calssroom space, they can reach off of town students, so, they are increasing their markets.

With online courses, Institutions can find an additional market to serve, as the sutudents can have the opportunity to try more than one course at the same time,as well as they can work at their own pace; also Institutions have more vailability for potential students who work.

Maria Cristina,
Yes, I agree that online education can be a life-saver for working students.

Linda Scharp

Currently we have started our online program. Our first class launched 10/24/11. For our school the main reason was to keep a competitive edge. Many schools were starting to offer classes online, we found that many current students will benefit from our online program. Also, we are able to open to new students that were not able to attend our resident program.

To be able to reach student who would like to learn how to do what we teach. We are in a wide spaced area and this gives uss a better reach to those who want the know how. With the online courses we will be able to teach not only in this state but beyond.

Convenience is key, with less money. Any one can get up turn on a computer and educate themselfs. Event those with time constraints. There is a wide varity of cources to choose from. You do not drive anywhere (no gass, ware on car, chance of accident, or being late) You take classes on line.(no clothing cost, getting dressed up(Hair & make up)) You e-mail your test & papers in.(no stamps and spell check)
It use to be you could not get hired with out a high school diploma, now a two year degree is required, or a four year for better money.

Being competitive, reaching new populations, student schedule flexibility and advancing with technology are four key reasons to offer online courses and programs.

Attending a class online is more cost effective for the school. Also, limited space/overcrowding may cause issues for students. Online learning offers a hassle free way to earn your education.

It is important for our institution to take-on the online program for students because it allows our school to be competitive with other schools and it provides a quality education to be presented around the world for students who are looking to go to the best school available in their field. It also enables our school to create a better income and a lower cost.

I also agree. By offering online courses we are opening out school up to a very large market. Many of our students are single working women, and many of them are also mothers. It is very difficult for them to work all day, take care of a family, and come to school at night. Online courses allow them to spend more time at home. This helps us attract that market instead of another institution.

Sign In to comment