Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I have to speak from the viewpoint of a proprietary, outcome based, educational institution. Number one on our list of priorities is retention. Higher retention rates must necessarily focus on the needs of the students, i.e., what are their goals, what are their expectations, what are their needs,what is their level of learning, and importantly, what is their availability and what 'outside' demands are being placed on their lives.
Once the basic parameters of 'attendance', technology and instructor resources are established, online asynchronous courses will enable us to make ourselves available to the students at their convenience, when they are 'ready' to learn, and will allow the students to take in information (for the most part) on their schedule. Through a well-developed Online Learning Program, we can meet the demands of accreditation, ensure effective development and delivery of curriculum and provide the students with the education they are paying for.

We are looking at a combination of all the reasons mentioned in the first lesson:

1) we need to remain competitive.
2) We must use space better, it is expensive to purchase brick and mortar buildings. If I can move 1 lecture a week out of the building I can add 1 shop class.
3) Our students are demanding more flexibility. If we do not deliver this flexibility we are no longer competitive.

I agree with your "scheduling of life" comment. If I had not had online availability for most of my graduate work there is no way I would be almost complete with my doctorate right now.

Sometimes we seem to forget that our students have a life!

There are many reasons why institutions offer online courses and programs. In my opinion, market competition is probably the most motivating factor for most schools.

In order to maintain the highest level of education delivery it is vital that any institution of higher learning examine the best practices of other schools in the market and evolve to remain competitive.

I think that most of you have hit upon the theme of the lesson. I will include more on the convenience factor when I revise.

As many have said, scheduling "academic life" into "real life" is an important consideration (although I always question that wording in that academic life is not "unreal." :) ).

The motivating factor of "just-in-time" learning and being "ready" when students want/need/desire to learn is key.

Peter, and others who have mentioned market competition, I agree with you that staying competitive is an important reason--balancing competitive edge with best practices is also important.

Four-year institutions have discovered that they are "cannibalizing" some of their on-ground student enrollments. I'm not sure if enough research has been done to prove the significance of that--perhaps it allows traditional students the opportunity to a) take more courses, especially if two required courses are offered at the same time, or b) progress toward graduation more quickly.

My institution has recently established two new programs. Both have face-to-face classes, as well as online classes. The reason for online is to be competitive with other schools, allow for more space within our school facility, and to add a convenience element to the program for the students

Institutions offer online courses for multiple reasons:

1)Convenience as everyone's work schedule is hectic.
2) Time constraints on students.
3) Flexibility in learning.

Thanks,

Jurdy

Hi, Celeste,
How did you decide which courses to offer face to face and which to offer online? It sounds as if your school is trying to meet the competitive challenge. Let me know if you have questions.

We feel we need to have online courses in order to be available worldwide. Our training is for a specific set of skills in a particular industry. A large portion of our demographic is people looking for a career change or upgrade. They will best be served if our courses are available to them anywhere any anytime.

Paula, the direct connection and attention to the job market must make your school very attractive to students. Online courses are ideal for upgrading skill and knowledge sets.

As a post high school institution our student body is growing and we specialize in technology education.
With so many other technical schools in our market, as well as the local community college and four year schools, going high tech is a logical choice.
We need to be competitive, up-to-date in the technology world and give the students the type of classes they expect from a technical school.

Our school is growing and classroom space is becoming limited. Online classes would help solve a number of problems.

Students can take these none technology course at their own pace.
Classrooms can be scheduled without configuration and re-configuration.
Faculty can monitor classes and not have to be in front of the students.

We see online courses as a suppliment to classroom learning. In some calses, a blended approach works very well with both faculty and students.

To remain competitive in the education market which has expanded into online delivery to satify their customer needs.

Another compelling reason that we're experiencing is that we have just about outgrown our physical classroom space!

Hi Greta, increased enrollments are great until a school runs out of space and resources. Good luck. Let me know if you have questions and thanks for taking the course. Linda

My institution does not (as yet) offer online courses, but I can see that most of our General Education required courses could be adapted to online. Already, I use an electronic forum for my students and designate a minimum of 45 minutes per class (of 3 hrs) to take them to the computer center and have them work on their writing projects and forum work there. I believe that it only makes sense in today's world to offer courses online whenever possible. That way, the student can learn when it is most convenient to them, and the online instructor can give their best as well to the students. My one reservation is that I would hope that the institutions do not overburden online instructors with too many students and keep the faculty/student ratio to 20:1 or at most 25:1 and that way the student can get a quality education. I would not want to see institutions offering this only as a way to generate more revenue!

Many students request online options. The schools that I teach at use online classes for short classes that are required by state law. We also use online classes for continuing education and licensure renewal. The Community Colleges that I teach at offer online courses to bridge the gap over 4 counties. Many students can't drive 70 miles to attend class. Distance learning helps increase the student census and increases FTEs. P>

My institution/company probably saw the need, along with the growing market. It was a good move on their part, because the online school has exploded with students. More and more students are wanting the combination of on-ground/on-line course offering; they realized this and went with it.

Students today would expect to have online communication. Courses, access to grades and schedules. Everyone today uses their hand held devices to communicate. A technical school should be no exception.

Accreditation requires students to have technology experience;•Increasing enrollments places a strain on existing classroom and laboratory space•Students request/demand flexibility•Other schools in your market have an online presence.
Now we have a more technological friendly student than before and the technology resources are more available.

Hi, Orlando,
Do you think faculty are keeping up with students in terms of technology use?

Sign In to comment