Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Because it is a competitive issue that also make easier the learning process

Our institution is one of a kind in our state.So far, it offers onsite courses for training students that live in the area or nearby, but we are involved in the creation of the online courses to help people that live far away or even in another state

Online courses are very useful in our present world full of technology, and busy people. On line courses help students safe time and money while they learn and grow professionally.

Right now, we have three main reasons to offer an online course and they definitely coincide with the ones you have included in this course. First,our institution is growing,so it is a requirement to be competitive and offer what others already have in the market. It is also important to help the students who are unable to access the kind of training we are offering. Finally,I'm sure an online program would also help solving the difficulties we are facing regarding space.

Because this is a way to cover a wider geographical territory, thus students can save a lot of time and expenses.

To meet students' expectations in a different way

We are a national association so our needs are a bit different. We are focusing on continuing ed and am finding that a well written online course can help busy professionals. It also will generate another revenue stream for our association.

Yes, Albert, it seems that the summary of your impressions of why institutions offer online courses and programs is to remain competitive in a crowded market. I wholeheartedly agree.

Yes,I cant agree more...students are using technology more on these days and education is not exempt of this issue...finally schools are moving forwards!

Students have more flexibility to attend classes. By offering them the ability to time management. This maybe especially helpful for single parents or those students who either work full or part time.

More and more colleges are competing for students by offering online classes or hybrid classes where part of the class is on ground and maybe two days online.
Another advantage is classroom /labspace this will free up classrooms for more labspace and more on hand training.

Because this is a way to offer Courses and Programs to people that can't assist to a traditional academic program. In the other hand, everybody have access to specialities in any place they live.

Kim,
Thanks for responding and supporting Albert.

Linda Scharp

As listed in the course, online course offering is driven by the fact that other schools offer it so we must. But the bigger picture is that today's students respond well to online courses, whether they juggle a family, job and schooling, or choose to work on classes in their own time frame. Online courses allow students to control class schedules and travel costs.

What are the important reasons for embarking on online delivery of courses and programs at your institution?

Online Courses are important because they are an effective way to reach more people. The institution or school that implements online courses is also able to grow and become more competitive, and also the faculty, instructors and staff in general are able to grow professionally.

Because it will make the institution more competitive. It will offer more flexibility to the students. More students will be reached. The faculty, instructors and all staff will be professionally benefited

Hayme,
Thank you for your post to Forum 1. While I fundamentally agree with you, I would add that the addition of online offerings must fit the mission and objectives for the institution. It's easy to "get on the band wagon" with online courses to gain market share, but considerable thought has to go into the planning for the infrastructure to support the development, delivery, assessment and continual evaluation of the offerings to remain competitive.
Dr. Robert Roehrich

Hayme,
Again, I agree with your post and would add that a comprehensive strategy is necessary that begins with a vision for the online offerings and engages all of your significant stakeholders. If online courses are offered without the necessary forethought, a "stumble" will be very costly to the institution's brand and its reputation.
Dr. Robert Roehrich

Sign In to comment