Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Being Both Manager & Leader

I used to think that you were either a micro-manager or a macro-manager. I didn't even really consider how leadership worked into the whole process as well. I find it hard to believe that a company can be truly successful with only managers (because they wouldn't have leaders to inspire vision) but then if they only had leaders (who would ensure the day-to-day activities were happening)?

I think true success would be having both in the organization and at all levels.

I would have to say that I agree with you. A company needs a leader to supply the vision and overall direction for the company. A leader envisions the future of the company. However, organizations need managers to make sure that day-to-day operations are occurring and goals are being met. Without a leader, a company will not move forward. Without managers, a company may flounder.

Good point Jessica.
You know you've moved into the leadership role when you have followers - people who have placed their trust in you. It seems to me
organizational success depends on having someone in this role of leadership that is working for the greater good and success of the company and the employees. That's why managers must inspire and motivate, be authentic, because many people don't like to be managed, they want to be led. The day to day operations will flow with the combined leadership/management.

I would agree Jessica. You need to have both of the roles in order for the organization to be successful. If you are in a role of being both, you have to know when to manage and when to lead; which can be a very tricky thing.

Good point Jessica. I believe that knowing how to balance or switch between the two roles is key. The combination of managers and leaders must coexist in order for companies to be successful. I will definitely use the example of having only one and see where it leads in discussion.

It is a balance and some people have the ability to do both, but knowing when to flex the right muscle is important. I'm curious, as other may be, to hear the outcome of the discussion you have about the example of having only one, please let us know how that goes.

It definitely is a balance that you have to learn especially when you are in a small company and have to be the leader and manager of a department. I have to put on both hats daily because I have a new person in my department and I am responsible for holding her accountable to learn how to do her job and be the cheerleader when she does well.

That's a great observation Lauren and you're right, it is a balance. How do you maintain the balance in your role?

It's not easy but I've found that any opportunity where I can let my employee know that she's doing something right, I do. I also have weekly meetings with her to go over how she's doing and talk about any issues/concerns she may have. I think working in a education atmosphere, I am always needing to be a leader though, whether working with other departments or with students -- leadership is very important to help everyone understand where we are going as a "company".

I get the sense you understand that balance between being both manager and leader. Tell us more about how your leadership helps everyone understand where you are going as a company?

"I think true success would be having both in the organization and at all levels."

I had the same thought. Even a producer/worker who is working for a manager can exhibit leadership. Be it in attitude or inspiring others to reach a goal.

It's great that we can analyse this social structure and see that there is a lot of self similarity as we zoom in and out of scale.

I completely agree, Jessica. Success is linked to good leadership/management not, I have always consider myself as a "manager" caring and advising while staying vigilant to any distractions that could compromise my self-established goals. At the very end, people need someone to lead their way but at the same time a caring figure that will straighten out their path and re-focus their vision.

To me leaders are the heart of the business,leadership mean just to be able to inspire others at hardwork and being able to bring them together.As any human body we have a heart but we also need the "Brain" to function.To be a manager you have the brain to create,and establish it all.So being both a Manager "Brain" and a Leader "Heart" ,does not sound so bad,we just have to learn how to balance both.

Thomas, Great point! We agree you need both, and both play a specific role at a specific time. Thank you for posting.
Dr. Jean Norris

Sign In to comment