Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Troy,
Thanks for the comment! It definitely is hard to be a leader with no one following (or is that vice-versa)?

Dr. Jean Norris

Troy,
Ah yes. Without trust...it's hard to move forward isn't it?

Dr. Jean Norris

The situation is a mapping of not only the event, but the players involved. A leader will use this information to identify the strengths as well as the weaknesses to resolve the issue. A strong leader will be able to formulate a plan quickly.

Thank you for your insights Bonita.

Dr. Jean Norris

I have long found the principles of Hershey and Blanchard's Situational Leadership very useful. The situation determines the appropriate response of the leader in response the the worker's or learner's level of readiness.

A leader or teacher cannot manage all in the same way, but rather from each according to his ability, to each according to his need. Hmm... that sounds familiar, yes?

Barry, great point and similar, indeed. What is an example of how you practice this method?
Dr. Jean Norris

Great leaders have an innate ability to "read the room". Like great athletic coaches and managers they know how to motivate different individuals, how to change personalities so egos are sublimated to the goal and vision. In this way they are also managing and I think great leaders usually start by managing first. Then as they grow and become successful at directing and managing behaviors they become efficient at understanding people, which allows them to become leaders, to implement plans that understand the personnel and personalities of that personnel.

Great awareness, John. I agree with you that you have to both manage and lead. It sounds like you might be familiar with this situation, will you share your experience?
Dr. Jean Norris

Yes -- and having experienced a leader has shown me that. For example, a moment of crisis may cause a leader to change their tone, goals, and mode of operation as to get a handle of the problem and establish the means to a resolution. In times of calm, the attitude differs as they allow (they really do "allow", no matter what they say) people to carry on with their duties.

So, yes, at least from what I've seen, the leader does engage in sensemaking as to figure HOW to interact with followers--or even other leaders. It's like any system, in a sense - all of the actors are affected by the context, and behave in a fitting and rational fashion, hopefully...

I agree with you! Reading the situation is essential to effectively leading people. Coupled with good intuition, a leader will avoid pitfalls and navigate smoothly through the obstacles of daily operations.

Stephen, Great awareness! Thank you for sharing in the forum.
Dr. Jean Norris

Certain situation variables steer how a leader engages followers. For instance, timely goals and deadlines may require a more aggressive approach from a team and create the need for a leader to generate a plan that can be implemented using available resources to ensure goal completion within that time. The vision for a short term goal is still promoted by the leader, but with much less time for the team to buy in.

James, Interesting! It sounds like you have experience here. Have you found this approach to be a positive one?
Dr. Jean Norris

A successful leader must be able to fully assess situations, the group dynamic and the followers involved in processes. Different situations call for different skill sets and communication methods. A leader is able to adjust to meet the needs and requirements of the situation.

Kelly, Well said! We agree. Thank you for sharing!
Dr. Jean Norris

I agree with you completely in order to be able to lead properly you have to be able to access any situation and handle things accordingly. Every situation should not be handled in the same manner. You have to have a positive attitude in order to receive positive results. A happy leader will lead to happy followers.

Andrea, So true! Thank you for sharing.
Dr. Jean Norris

A leader should be proficient in their skills as well as confident in the decisions that have to be made on a daily basis. Building trust with the team first and understanding the various personalities of each member and knowing how and what decisions are to be made. Leaders should be consistent with decisions and flexible depending on the situation. In addition, time should be spent evaluating how the present decisions will future outcomes.

Mary, That is a great point. Each situation calls for an evaluation of what steps are needed to move forward.
Dr. Jean Norris

Both leaders and managers understand that life, and business, is unpredictable. A manager must be able to maintain the focus and excellence of her team even when a given situation takes one by surprise. However, a leader can use the surprises of unexpected situations to her advantage. For example, if a school suddenly has an issue of low enrollment for a given program, the manager responsible for enrollment needs to work through her systems to increase performance on the part of the admissions team. However, a leader might take this opportunity to make strategic changes to the objectives and goals of the program, using the setback to improve the overall program. In some situations, the same person will need to use both aspects of themselves when overcoming an obstacle.

Sign In to comment