Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Being all time positive is good. Yet there is a fear to fall into uncontrollable optimism, just for the sake of being positive. When you are surrounded by enemies and there is no hope, being positive would be unwise at the very least. Leader always need to remember that he is the leader because someone follows. Sometimes leader is the one who has to tell the truth even if it is not positive. Being realistic and honest with those who follows you is more important than being all time positive.

I agree. Some people just unable to accept changes, because it would ruin their stability. If you cant change them you have to get rid of them. Harsh? Well, yes. Yet, when you are ready to sail you cut the rope that holds the anchor.

I agree John. I think in almost everything, our actions or the actions of others are determined by the situation. Therefore, whether you are a leader or a manager - your approach or tactics may have to constantly vary.

a leader should do just that, lead and follow by example. It's kind of like the leader's are the indians, and the manager's are the cheifs.

The situation makes a leader assess and utilize his/her knowledge of the person(s), attributes, environment, skills, etc...before making an informed decision as to a reaction or plan of action.

The situation makes a leader assess and utilize his/her knowledge of the person(s), attributes, environment, skills, etc...before making an informed decision as to a reaction or plan of action.

The situation is critical when deciding what leadership style and actions are needed. Not all situations call for the same treatment. It is important to NOT take the "cookie cutter" approach when dealing with all situations.

The decision-making process MUST be unique to the situation.

Kelly, great point. It sounds like you are looking to tailor the experience to each student because you are right, each student is unique and comes to us looking for something that fits with them.

Dr. Jean Norris

In a teaching situation it's difficult in ways that aren't present in other enterprises. Especially in a college situation with older adults as well as new high school grads in the same class and/or major. That's one of the reasons I'm taking this course. As a teacher I have a wealth of intellectual and experiential tools to use. So do most of the older adults who have worked in numerous jobs and have their history to call on.

In the classroom I have to manage time to complete all of the assigned work so they have the best possible chance to learn what they need for their certification exam as well as their job in the medical field. As we all know, taking an exam well isn't the same as doing a job well. I think that's the manager in me.

As a leader I need to find ways to get them to 'buy into' and use the mental and physical tools we have available to learn with. Remembering that they're all at different stages but that we all need to get to the same end helps me search out all the ways at my disposal to accomplish the goals. I like the statement that 'effective leadership is giving people the tools to do what you expect of them and being available to assist and improve over time.' Perfect for a teaching role.

Dee,
First, thank you for all you do. As a former medical assisting graduate, it is the faculty who help so many through the process! Your comments are well thought out and reflect a person who not only understands the need to OBSERVE to see if what you are doing is working but you also have plenty of tools to try just in case what you were doing isn't working. It's known as Requisite Variety!

Dr. Jean Norris

A good leader recognizes their own strenths and weaknesses as well as the strengths and weaknesses of their staff. Drawing on the strengths of all while building on the weaknesses create a great teamwork atmosphere

Well said. Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses and good managers and leaders understand that. Thank you for posting!

Gayla I agree that a good leader recognizes their own strengths as well as weakness. A good leader should work on improving their weakness. Always lead by example.

Kathleen, that's a great point. It's hard for people to trust you when you aren't following the orders you give. What steps do you take to ensure you are "practicing what you preach?"

Dr. Jean Norris

My philosophy on this topic is heavily influenced by my studies on group development or in other words, the stage at which the team is performing. using Tuckman's model of group development: Forming; Storming; Norming ; and Performing, the leader adjusts engagement based on the stage. At stage one of forming, the leader has to step up and take the position of front and center. the followers usually expect this of a leader at this baby stage of development. The storming stage is an opportunity for the leader to take on the role of mediator and conciliator. The norming stage allows the leader to commence placing the followers into leadership roles. Then at the performing stage the team is now self managing with the leader just as a facilitator.

Roger,
Thanks so much for the additional insights! I'm curious, which stage of group development do you prefer as leader? as part of the group?

Dr. Jean Norris

The situation at the time will determine how the leader will approach any situation because they have to have all the facts in order to make a informed decision.

Troy

I would agree with this statement. A leader is only has good as the people around them.

I would agree that trust is one of the most important elements.

Troy,
Interesting insights. The situation definitely dictates the leadership style and even how we communicate.

Dr. Jean Norris

Sign In to comment