Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Hi Andrew,

Well, I believe you have totally captured the feedback process! Thanks!

Jay Hollowell

I agree that having ample time set aside and a quiet non-threatening space as important as starting off on a positive note. If the individual receiving the feedback feels threatened or attacked then the whole purpose of the meeting is lost. I like the idea of the bullets to stay focused on the points to make so that the goal is accomplished and the feedback is truly communicated.

I am trying to relate this topic to classroom situations where I am required to give daily feedback to my students for their individual production, just as if they were an employee doing a job. I try to be clear and concise with my comments and make the feedback positive. So, if I am presented a "bad" product I do not tell the student the work is "bad" (an opinion), I point out the deficiencies and how to correct them to make the product better. I always try to end on a positive note, finishing with a reinforcing comment. I know I am successful when the student walks away with a smile, even after presenting a sub par product.

I am an instructor in a culnary school and with my students you have to give feedback right away on how there food is. If it not done right I tell then what they need to do to fix it so the next time they fix that plate it will be seasoned right and presented correctly again. I have found out that the students like the feedback right away

When giving feedback I thank about the situation and/or problem. Then I attempt to find a non-offensive approach by addressing the positives before the negatives.

By doing so the individual seems not to be in defense mode but more receptive to the feedback. In addition I can provide suggestion when taking the positivity first approach.

Personally, like a Chef instructor I prefere for giving constructive feedback, listen to my students and explain to all of them why they did something wrong,cause of myself,not enough explanation about the demo and how to fix it
everyone get involved.

I try to give honest, direct feedback and take the process very seriously. However, there is one particular worker that I am having difficulty with. This worker has been with the organization a long time, is older than me, has a credible reputation in the field and is listed as a Team Leader. Yet, this worker does not set a good example for other members on the team (punctuality is spotty, workload appears way less than others, lack of focus/attention at meetings, etc.) This person has held the position long before I became a department head and has been allowed to be this way for awhile. I have essentially been told by upper management that "it is what it is and he is not going anywhere" but this makes my job of giving others honest and direct feedback a moot point. It is almost laughable. I feel I am in a no-win situation. Any suggestions?

One of the frustrating things about giving negative feedback is when you have an employee with a temper, or prone to arguing. You have to talk slow and sometimes ignore when they interupt you. When receiving feedback I don't agree with I always say, "What I heard you say was..." That way I have all the information before responding.

Prior to giving feedback, I would think things through and figure out how I would approach the person. I typically give feedback immediately and start with the positives. My direct report is someone who works well with students but tends to get sidetracked and engaged in long conversations not related to the topic/task at hand. In one particular occasion, I asked her if we could step into my office for a few minutes. I complimented her on her ability to relate with the students, kindly addressed what happened earlier that day, and included my feedback.

Your comment "just doing a task myself to ensure it's done correctly," describes my personality perfectly. My supervisor's feedback to me is generally along the lines of "You need to delegate more responsibility to others." It has taken me a great deal of time and practice to be able to do that, but as you stated delegating is crucial for our employees to learn and grow in their positions. I think the other issue that plays right into my reluctance to delegate is being uncomfortable with critiquing someone else's work. It has been a long road for me to realize that part of my job as a manager is to do that which makes me the most uncomfortable. As a wise man once said, "Practice makes perfect"! While I am definitely not perfect, I have become a better manager through trial and error.

Dr. Read,
What do action do you suggest one takes if a person is not willing to set up a time to discuss something that is negatively affecting your work day on a continuous basis?

I find it difficult sometimes to stay focused on the topic and not to drift. I like your idea of listing the key points for the feedback session. I am going to try this method next time I have to deliver feedback.

I think feedback should be done in a private setting unless it is extreemly bad feedback. Then i think a witness should be present.Staying on track is important so the original message doesnt get diluted. I would also keep notes or share notes with the direct report about the feed back given so there isnt a question at a future date. If the feed back is negative i would try to highlight a possitive to keep self esteem.

I find it very important choose the correct time and location. Start on a positive note dont make it seem as a threat. Stay on track make sure it is a two way communication. Make sure to have good notes and get to the point as effentially as possible.Explain your expections.

I recently took a class on Performance Management. In the course they brought up the fact that too much vague positive feedback could be as bad as none at all. They explained that supervisors that constantly provide vague positive feedback, struggle when an employee does something exceptionally well, due to the fact that so much positive feedback has been acknowledged. They suggest that there is a loss of value.

Dr. Read: As I study the program, I agree that the soft approach does not work! I find even with my students, positive feedback works better than negative. Also handling the issues as they come up, most times works better than taking the student aside and speaking to them personally. I find that feedback to one can be a "teaching moment" to all in the class.

Ms. Kwiatek: I think I would respectfully disagree. I believe that you are speaking more about performance than feedback. I would agree though that if the behavior is so egregious, it might need to be handled in the manner you recommend. But most feedback is best handled immediately so that the person can use it to "grow" and improve themselves.

Mr. Benfer: I agree with your first statement, but I must respectfully disagree with your assessment of a judgment. Feedback should not be a judgment but an objective criticism to help someone improve how they deal with others.

Ms. Clare: I agree with you that ample time is a requirement. It's a shame that in today's world people view feedback as a "bad thing". It is the only way that we can continue to grow. When I teach my law class I always ask the first day "what do you want to do when you "grow" up. Inevitably, someone will scoff and I explain that if they are in school, they are continuing to learn and therefore, grow! Then the light bulb goes on and they understand and answer my question. This course was very helpful especially as to the "relaters" and the "directors". Don't you agree?

I hold monthly meetings with each of my direct reports to discuss what is going well and what areas for improvements might be available. This gives the employee the opportunity to tell me what they thing has gone well and what can be improved in the future.

This allows them to do a self evaluation and allows me the opportunity to offer feedback.

Of course, I also offer "in the moment" feedback or any positive or negatives that come up between the monthly one on ones.

Sign In to comment