Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Many times I join a teammate who is working on a task that I have done in the past. Sometimes as I am helping with the task and he is observing the process I am using, He may ask me why I am using a certain proceedure. He may or may not like the process, but if he ask I can show him how and why it works for me. I dont want to debate and force him to use it himself but, many times it is a better faster way than he is operating. I will discuss the pros and cons and many times we come to a decision to use a differant aproach. I also learn from thes exchanges
Marvin

Thanks for your thoughts, Marvin! Your process is a prime example of collaborative coaching which can be a Win-Win for all involved. Coming to a decision or an approach collaboratively really helps to establish buy-in and can enhance performance.

Jay Hollowell
ML120 Facilitator

When I first became a instructor I struggled with this very thing. I quickly learned that what made sence to me didn't always make sence to everyone else. I learned lot's from other instructors and listening to good and bad feeback about how I was teaching the class.

Hi, Jasen, same here when I started as an instructor back in the mid-80s - how times have changed. I have found too over time that it is not only what works best, but what works best for "me" and for the dynamics of the adult learning group at the time. Thanks for your comments,

Jay Hollowell
ML120 Facilitator

I try to take all of the information at hand involving the feedback, and place it into outline form. I provide a copy to my direct report, and keep one for myself. During the conversation, I make notes on the employee input and buy in. After the meeting I provide an updated copy of the outline with all matters discussed to the employee.

Communication breakdown can happen in a number of ways.
I try to give feedback in a neutral area. There is something very intimidating about a desk between two people. It can cause the person receiving the feedback to feel powerless or threatened.
The other barrier to effective communication and feedback is listening. Most people think that they are listening when they aren't. They are too busy thinking about what they are going to say when the other person stops talking.

I always try and start with something positive the employee has done or is doing. I then try and point out how their task is of utmost importance to the College and then explain what I feel are the areas that need attention in their performance. I then give them the opportunity to explain how they can address the issue.

Donald,

Thanks Donald! Giving constructive feedback is really a process and, as you referenced, accentuating the positive and its contribution before focusing on areas of improvement is a good process to follow. Giving time for employee feedback encourages buy-in.

Jay Hollowell

Theodora, I appreciate your systematic approach and think that it meshes well with what we've just learned in the course. As a new manager, I find it easy to be efficient in many job areas, but giving feedback is tougher since most of us care what others think of us.

Gathering all pertinent information, being prepared, and planning a feedback session in advance will help us respond and remedy rather than simply react to employee performance or issues. Also, distinguishing between what can be let go of (e.g. small mistakes on the part of someone who is not at all detail-oriented) versus what really needs to be addressed (neglecting entire procedures) is very important.

I find that I need to organize my thoughts--providing clear examples during a scheduled meeting. I find that communication breakdown sometime occurs when an employee can only see a situation through his perspective versus the perspective of others. It is easy to stay in our bubble--but to look at a situation through the eyes of administration, students, coworkers, etc. takes true skill.

Hi Karen and Theodora!

You're right on target with your comments regarding giving feedback. Steps in the feedback process most always reference the importance of honing in on observations before reactions. Once all relevant information is in place and observations about the feedback topic are discussed, recommendations and solutions are then more easily addressed. I really like your reference to "choosing the battles carefully." Not everything has to be addressed!

Thanks so much for your comments,

Jay Hollowell
ML120 Facilitator

Hi Karen,

True and a good point, effective and articulate communication is definitely a skill to be practiced and enhanced!

Jay
ML120 Facilitator

One major pitfall that contributes to a communication breakdown while giving feedback is a lack of listening skills. We should always seek to separate fact from opinion, and to do this we must take time to listen and gather information.

Great point, Angela. Sending a follow up email plays a big role in avoiding a communication breakdown.

well- when we grade students' work we are required to taste everything.
and then tell them how they did.
Even if it is the absolute worse thing I have ever put in my mouth- (and spit it out) I always start with something half-way positive. (your plate looks nice- you did a good job with your MEP- nice hustle today, or whatever)
then tell them item by item how it right or wrong- and then finish up with a positive note (even if it is- well, tomorrow we will do better, and I'll help you out with understanding XYZ)

I have to say that I truly learned a lot in this class because I am definitely a direct, task oriented manager and I need to practice on making sure that I give feedback, based on the other person's personality and not just my personality.
Great example.

I believe when you give feedback, it is important to start off with the sandwich technique. First, I like to start off with a positive on the actions or tasks that they are doing correctly. Then follow up with constructive criticism on how to improve in the areas of concern. If I feel that there needs to be a stronger approach to their work, I make sure that I am prepared and think before I speak. I want to make sure that I treat the person, how I would like to be treated and speak to them on a level playing field. Once I highlight the areas of concern, I make sure that I finish up by having them respond back to me what my concerns are and understand what has been explained to them. I want them to know my concerns towards their work habits.

James,

Thanks, this is definitely the main consideration in the feedback process - listening and presenting your observations rather than judgement, then allowing time for a response. Listening is truly a skill that must be actively practiced and refined.

Jay Hollowell

Jennifer,

Great observation! The "positive/constructive suggestions for improvement/positive" sequence is imperative to student motivation and success - as long as (to your excellent point) the positive is not superficial or patronizing.

Thanks,

Jay Hollowell

Dawn ,

I appreciate your observation Dawn! I'm task-oriented too and often fall into the cycle of "just doing a task myself to ensure it's done correctly." However, as you reference, feedback is a two-way process and constructive and well-received feedback is crucial to empowering our employees to grow in their positions and responsibilities.

Jay Hollowell

Sign In to comment