Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

1. Know your audience.
2. Know your topic-present it simply.
3. Be short and sweet-use visuals for support

Yes & I would add to know why you are speaking & make sure your audience knows why you are presenting to them. This is not always made known.
Ryan

I would identify my objective, the supporting facts and statistics and what I want the audience to take away from the presentation

We need to know our audience and assess their need first.

Sometimes we are so well versed in a subject that we are comfortable to the point of confusing important DETAILS with KEY POINTS. I like the teaching in this course that stressed identifying what the point of the presentation is. Also, reminding ourselves to whom we are presenting.

Since we have a complete grasp of the topic we (I, actually) sometimes forget to limit the information I present into digestible bites. Enthusiasm without discipline can lead to overly long presentations or sections of presentations.

Great point Kenneth. I will admit that as a presenter I tend to have this struggle. Or along with this I have a great story or illustration & sometimes get so wrapped up in that, that I really fail to make the point I was intending to with my story.
Ryan

Nothing to add to this great point, other than I think I will take your last statement (with proper credit of course!) & share it with those I am coaching regarding presentations. I love the way you put that.
Ryan

YES! That's sounds just like me sometimes. I consciously try now to keep reading my class on the one hand and remember not just where I started, but why.

I believe the top things to remember when preparing and delivering an effective presentation is to first know my target audience. Secondly,define and prepare my objectives and stay focused on my key points when delivering my presentation. Rehearsing prior to presenting to my audience will also aid in presenting an effective presentation.

1. Know your audience
2. Know your time frame
3. Anticipate questions

Good list. Along with anticipating questions I would add to make sure that you have the data & information you will need to intelligently answer those questions.
Ryan

Several suggestions for success":

1. Get audience attention.

2. Clarify the purpose and preview of the talk.

3. Support each point with reasoning and evidence.

4. Summarize key idea before concluding.

Yes & I would also add to have strong transitions between major points. This area is often overlooked in presenting. It can make a good presentation even better as it helps the audience know where you are in the presentation, alerts them that you are moving to a new point & is another way you can be reinforcing your points along the way.
Ryan

When I was in training to be an instructor, we had to give a presentation to the other new trainees on any subject. The training manager taped us and then we got to have the other new instructors review us on our high and low points. It was a great tool to help us prepare for a role that I have never done before.

Videotaping & peer review...two of the most humbling, yet powerful techniques for getting some really good feedback on your presentations. It sounds like you found that experience helpful too.
Ryan

The top three or four things to remember when delivering an effective presentation is:

-research your audience
-plan/create your speech or presentation(what is your goal?)
-rehearse your speech or presentation
-be engaging in your topic

I know I have never really considered researching my audience but it makes perfect sense. This could make or break your entire presentation by simply not doing your homework on the people you are speaking to.

I completely agree that you can never be too "overprepared". In addition, I do think that some people just have a knack for speaking well/presenting where others really have to work at it. Confidence is a major factor of conveying your message as well as knowledge and interest in the topic being discussed.

Tania,
Yes & audience analysis really does not take a great deal of time. Essentially it's a matter of asking some good questions & thinking it through. I'm glad that idea resonated with you.
Ryan

Tania,
Absolutely. Some people do have a talent for speaking & confidence cannot be replaced. I work with students on this everyday & try & encourage those who may not be as natural to make sure they prepare so they too have a source for confidence.
Ryan

Sign In to comment