Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Know your material......I find that if you are confortable with your topic, and follow the basic rules of presentation, you will be a good presenter.

be prepared,know your audience,anticipate their questions

I think confidence is the primary most important aspect of any presentation. It makes the audience listen to you if they are feeling you know what you are talking about

Carol,
These are three of the most important items to remember in speech preparation .

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I am a new instructor, when I prep for class
*I read the Chapter and
*review the tests that have been given to me.
*I also take the tests and do the homework
*I present based on the topics on the test(s) homework
*as well as topics I know they will encounter in another class or life.
*and think about questions they might have based on how much they know about the subject.

Gale,

This is all good prep & I would add to consider the different classes/audiences too.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

What do you believe are the top three or four things to remember when preparing and delivering an effective presentation?

I believe that the top three or four things to remember when preparing and delivering an effective presentation are:
1. Keep in mind what is the goal of the presentation. What are you trying to communicate and what is the outcome that you are looking for?
2. Who are you talking to? What is the demographic that you are trying to reach? What is the audience and what is the mindset of the people who you are talking to.
3. What is the take-away messages that you want your audience to think about or remember about the presentation
4. How can you best communicate the information in a way that will be memorable and meaningful

Trinidad ,
these are all great & key things to remember & especially remembering the goal or point. Drive that home throughout the presentation.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

1. Knowing your topic
2. good visual aids
3. Be well prepared
4. Be well resteted

I believe it is important to stick to the topic at hand but have fun while doing it. Prep is key, be prepared for anything !!

ROB,
so true both to have fun & to be prepared for anything & everything.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Not in any particular order:

1. Know the information that you are presenting - it makes it more fluid in the presentations

2. Make it fun and interesting.

3. Use your audience as a reference - make it personal for them to understand the concept

For me number one is to be prepared Brainstorm ideas. Two I have to become the (S.M.E) subject material expert. Three identify my message and supporting facts. Four organize my points to become the (I.D.E) instructor delivery expert. Call me crazy but that is some of the things I do.

Bronzel,
those are all great methods as they help build credibility for the content & the delivery.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I work from the classic rhetorical triangle
The presenter: must be prepared
the audience: must be engaged
the topic: must be interesting and appropriate
for the audience
Ethos Pathos Logos
It still works and can be broken down into very
specific steps. Preparation gives confidence
Relating to the audience engages
Great content communicates ideas

Number 0ne: know your material.
Number two: Practice/rehearse your presentation.
Number three: know your audience.

I think if you have good handle on these three things it sets you up to have a smooth and flowing presentation.

Be part of the discussion, know your audience, be prepared to give pros & cons. Also preparation is key to handling differt audiences.

the following are the top three things that I try to keep in mind when preparing and delivering an effective presentation. First, create an outline and what response I would like to see from audience after presenting. Secondly, understand my audience and find an ideal tool to convey message. Thirdly, prepare, practice and get plently of rest prior to presenting so you come accross on point, sharp, and alert to address any questions that the audience might have.

I am a Big Fan of story telling and not bogging people down with a bunch of facts and numbers that they are responsible for writing down. I choose to tell them what they will learn and how they will be able to use the information before I teach. I like them visualizing a successful out come. I will incorporate Social Media by giving them my Twitter handle, and I will assign a # for the event.

I am big on hand outs. As a seminar junkie, I hate it when I am trying to write every thing down and I miss something that was very important. Now I video tape all of my presentations and provide not only slides, but audio and video to all attendees.

I also make sure that I leave plenty of time for Question and Answer, and if for whatever reason we run out of time, I make sure everyone has my email and the ability to reach out to me afterwards.

By satiating all of this at the beginning of my presentation, it loosens them up and relaxes the whole room. I do about 10 of these a year and it has been awesome.

1. Know your audience. This is a particular challenge in the education field as many adult student learners have various learning styles
2. Decide what type of presentation will be fit the topic (Sales, Persuasion, Status Report, Product Demonstration, Business Plan)
3. Define your objective. This is particularly important to keep your presentation on track

Sign In to comment