Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Rafael ,
these are all great suggestions & I would add being clear on the purpose & goal of the presentation.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

First, I would define the main objectives I want to cover and present the material in an interesting way visually or by sharing an experience. Second, engaging the audience by asking questions is also really important because it keeps the audience's attention. Lastly, organizing your main points by power point helps direct what you want to cover. Try to keep it fun too!

Brittany,
these are all great ideas to help with effective presentations.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

one
What are we talking about , Purpose of the presention
Two
Be to the point not information over load
Three
Make it at a level your audience understands.

Thomas,
all of these are wonderful ideas to keep in mind as we seek to be as effective as possible with our presentations.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

First a presenter must be a subject matter expert onthe topic being presented
Second the presentaion needs to fit the audiance in a semi-custom way,
Third be prepared for questions about the topic being presented

Raul,
all are great ideas to remember. I especially like your point about being prepared for questions; we overlook this one too often.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

An effective presentation begins with researching the intended audience by asking questions such as: Is the information new or well-known to them? Do they regularly attend presentations; and if so, what style presentation are they used to? Is the presentation voluntary or mandated? Is the subject matter one that the audience would support or oppose? After researching the audience, prepare the speech by studying the information to be delivered and by rehearsing it repeatedly asking for feedback from co-workers, family, friends, etc. When presenting, stay focused on the subject while watching the audience for nonverbal clues regarding the delivery. Be expressive with your voice and make and maintain eye contact projecting confidence to the audience. Finally, end strong by summarizing the main points of the speech with a memorable few ending sentences.

First of all be prepared, that will build confidence. Practice if you need to to assist in gaining confidence. Secondly, make sure you know and understand the content;anticipate questions. Thirdly, know your audience and deliver the presentation according to them.

Make sure you know your subject material.
Understand your audience.
Be in the moment.
Practice & Rehearse,,,, Until it feels like saying your name,it has to flow.

Preparation is very important but one must always be prepared to make necessary changes in order to keep the audience engaged.

I think its important to pick a relevant topic. Know your audience and what you intend to accomplish. Prepare totally that is rehearse like you will be performing in a show on stage...and finally be real. The emotion and energy you put into the presentation will be evident to the audience. I engage my audience and will often ask them their name and have them join in the discussion. Later I may tie a concept or idea back together by reminding everyone that Joan for instance had the same idea or experience as we discussed earlier. I will shake someone's hand, ask for verbal feedback and if appropriate get them to assist like a magician would when doing a trick which requires an assistant. Sometime when presenting in my automotive lab space I will actually get one of the visitors children to actuate a remote to open a vehicle hatch...noting that the technology does not require great strength. I always acknowledge the help and ask for a round of applause....

What type of presentation will work best for the lesson? Sometimes as an instructor we are demonstrating how something works, while other times we are selling a theory. Knowing your audience, do they have any knowledge about the subject? When is the presentation, is it in the beginning of class or after lunch?

Martin,
all of these are great questions to ask in light of preparing your presentation whether it be a class lecture or another type of presentation.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I also like letting the learner know how to use the information. I think it helps make the information seem more real to them.

1. Know the purpose of the presentation (is it to inform, persuade or sell?
2. Deliver the central message clearly and concisely at the beginning and at the end of the presentation.
3. Use a combination of words and visuals.
4. Include examples and details.

For me there are four things that I need to remember when it comes to delivering an effective presentation
1. Know my topic
2. Know my audience
3. Be prepared for anything
4. Be relaxed

1. Address your topic from the audience's perspective. Basically, when I'm doing a training presentation I write it out step by step, as if nobody has ever done what I'm training on before, so they have a clear step by step reference for in the future.

2. State in the opening of the presentation a brief overview of what the presentation is about and what you are demonstating, so they know what to look forward to.

3. Keep slides very simple with no more than six lines of text per slide. Also, to always use bullet points, as it looks more clean than using numbers.

4. Remember to breathe when presenting and try your best to speak in a conversational manner. This I have to work on the most, as I'm a very nervous presenter.

Preparation is the key to a meaningful presentation.

1. Use visual because most people are visual learns and it will help them remember you and your presentation
2. REHEARSE REHEARSE REHEARSE. its sad but true most people are likely to remember you when you mess up. DON'T be that person. Always come 110% prepared and ready. Make the audience more comfortable and they are more likely to pay attention.
3. KNOW YOUR AUDIENCE. when you know what type of group you are presenting too it makes a world of a difference. you automatically click with them because you know what they are about

Sign In to comment