Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

All great points. Until I took this course I never relized how important it is to research the presenter/speaker that you follow. Sure can make a big differance in how recepitve your audience will be.

Absolutely! I find this is not only important from a content standpoint but also from actual presentation. If the person going before me is a wonderful orator & I'm not as strong in that area that will make me work twice as hard to prepare incredibly good content & brush up on my speaking skills, etc.

Strong ideas, knowing your audience, and preparing for questions.

In preparing for a presentation I beleive organization, practice, visual aids, and outling are key items you must focus on. An organized presentation will be more effective and outling helps you get and stay organized. In addition, practice allows you to make adjustments when necessary and incorprating visual aids helps your audience better understand and follow your presentation.

So true Melissa, especially practicing with visual aids. I have my students practice several times with visual aids, especially if they are technological. I wish I had a dollar for every time...You can fill in the blank. Great reminder.
Ryan

1. Remember the audience and taylor the presentation to their needs and interests.

2. Prepare a strong opening to the presentation to get the audience interested.

3. Plan ways to get the audience engaged in the presentation.

I think the top three things are your audience, your central idea and the main points.

I believe the most important items include knowing and understanding your topic, knowing your audience and knowing your presentation material.

Number One: Be prepared as best as possible. Know your topic and how you plan to present it. Anticipate likely questions and cultivate a confident demeanor.
Number Two: Choose a presentation method that best suits your audience and setting. Prepare materials that are suitable to the venue. Rehearse, if possible in the location where you will present. Check the view your participants have so you are sure that non-verbal communication and visual reinforcement will actually reach your intended targets.
Number Three: Relax - speek conversationally but be sure you can be heard, speak clearly, breath, think silently, present confidently.

Ronnie,
You made several great points in your post, but I particularly appreciate your point about confidence. This is something that I really emphasize to my students & clients as I work with them on presentation skills. Even when we don't feel confident if we can portray confidence we are viewed as better presenters.
Ryan

Do not be monotone

Keep distracting behavior to a minimum

Use humor when appropriate

Be enthusiastic

Dr. Ryan and readers,
In preparing for a speech I feel that the best preparation is knowing your audience, the company or institution, practicing your material, and finally relaxing during the presentation. I like the words of Dale Carnegie,
There are always 3 speeches for every one you actually gave. The one you practice, the one you deliver, and the one you wish you gave. I am sure we can all atest to this statement.
Thank you, Kathleen J.Murray

The first thing is always preparation. I find that I am a much better presenter when I am adequately prepared.

Second, is to know my audience. As a health care professional, if I am speaking to an audience that is business based, it may not be useful to use many health care analogies.

Third, is to be aware of time. I tend to end shorter than usual, maybe because I rush through so that I can get to the end. I need to slow down and take my time.

Dr. Ryan,

1 - Focus on the topic at hand
2 - Know who the audience is going to be
3 - What time are you going to deliver the presentation
4 - Be prepared for the worst case senerio

Hi Teri,

I agree that being prepared is essential. I often have to present to students who are new to the college experience and the content of my course. I have to make it very clear what they will be learning and why. I have to 'hook' them and convince them of the need of course content.
Being prepared helps me be very clear.
If I am not prepared and 'sold' on my presentation, I will lose the students from Day 1. They will not have confidence in me or my abilities to impart necessary information to them.

All good techniques to help keep your presentation interesting & effective.
Ryan

Great personal awareness on your strengths & where you need to pay attention. And you are very right with preparation, nothing can replace this as a tool for feeling confident & giving a good presentation.
Ryan

Thank you Kathleen. I would add to your point about relaxing during the speech: actually try to enjoy your presentation. Not in an arrogant way, but while you are giving your speech you should be the room's foremost expert on that topic. Let this flow through you & really enjoy the opportunity.
Ryan

Rick,
Thanks for adding an idea that had not been shared before: Prepared for the worst case scenario. This is very important, but if we are prepared & ready to adapt & be flexible, really nothing can throw us off our game. Murphy is always present!
Ryan

1. Know the content well enough to deliver the information where it is clear and effective. Practice, practice and more practice.

2. Provide visual aids in order to ensure that those who need to 'see' what you're saying is as involved as those who are not as visual.

3. Have handouts available or a source name available for audience members to have access to the materials that was used during the presentation...ie..website where they can go and download the materials at a later date.

4. While delivering the presentation, you must gage the mood of your audience in order to determine 'how' to present the material that was prepared.

Sign In to comment