Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I think that it is important to know who your audience will be and the purpose of the presentation. For me knowing those details helps me prepare for what I want to say, what visuals I may need, and what questions I may need to be prepared to answer.

1. be prepared.
2. know the time allowed
3. know your audience

In order a presentation to be effective, the presenter must have a commanding knowledge of the topic. The presenter must be able to relate to his/her audience. Lastly, the presenter must be able to convey the topic in a manner that is engaging and interesting to the audience. The ideas presented in this presentation, defining the objective, determining the type of presentation, knowing the audience, and preparing the presentation would contribute significantly to developing an effective presentation.

ha nie,
all 3 of these are key for an effective presentation.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Important things to remember are what are the objectives, how is the presentation directed to audience, how are objectives presented in the most effective manner, and how is the auduence be engaged in the presentation. There are other important things such as providing a hook at the opening and establish credibility. Also providing a solution and call to action at the end.

1.The purpose for the presentation.
2.The planning for the unforeseen, IE: allotted time change, questions and problems with visual aids.
3.The preparing for the presentation.
4.The practice of the presentation.

With all these covered a successful and effective presentation is more likely to happen.

Top 3 to 4 things to remember:
What do you want to communicate and how will the audience benefit from it?
Who is my audience?
What are the most important pieces of he topic they would want to know?

Laura,
these are great questions to use in guiding your development of your content & your presentation itself.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

presenter should be fully and adequately prepared not only via the literature he/she has read but also applying his/her personal experience.

1. Know your topic
2. Becomfortable with the topic being presented
3. Preferably have some personal involvement with
the topic you are presenting

Raphael,
excellent point about the application & personal experience. This is where the information/data comes alive.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

1) State your purpose clearly.
2) Make sure to get your points across. Use notes so you don't forget any!
3) MAke sure to summarize at the end.

First thing would be to know your topic. Make sure you can give them information that is going to be relevant to your audience.
Next, know your audience. It is hard to figure out exactly what and what not to say if you don't know who you are addressing.
Lastly, know your time limit so you can know how much info you can fit into the time limit. There is no use putting together an elaborate speech if you don't have enough time to deliever an elaborate speech.

Diana,
these are all great prep ideas. I want to hit on your point about how the info is going to be relevant to your audience. This really is the key to knowing your material. Know your material from a content standpoint, but also know how it is going to relate to your specific audience.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Yes, if your material doesn't relate to your audience, then you will lose them as listeners. Also know the general age of your audience so you are not speaking over their heads or down to them. I stress audience analysis in class so they understand the importance of knowing who you are speaking to.

Diana,
these are all great points highlighting the importance of audience analysis & adaptation.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Being prepared, knowing your audience, knowing the information and being well thought out are so important for me. But one thing that is just as important in my opinion is being passionate about what your talking about. If you have no connection or personal emotion to the topic the students have zero reasont to develop one for themselves. The heart is the basis for motivation, so along with facts, emotion and a sense of feeling about the subject matter is really what stirs someone to act.

Although there are many important factors to consider when preparing and delivering an effective presentation, I find that knowledge, adaptability, and confidence are three essential factors. Currently, I teach a variety of courses to medical laboratory technology students. In the immunology courses, I share my doctoral research regarding infectious diseases in order to show the students how the medical field relies on a variety of stakeholders to ensure the health and safety of people in the community. In order to deliver an effective presentation, the presenter must be able to convey difficult concepts in a simplified manner. Adaptability is a factor that substantiates the importance of knowledge. For instance, our students have a variety of learning styles. I provide charts and graphs to expound upon certain points during my lecture, while at other times in the lecture I may supplement the information with brief audiovisual clips of leaders in the laboratory field so that students recognize that the theory they are learning has practical applications. Confidence is also a vital factor to ensuring an effective presentation. With confidence, a presenter can explain concepts in a variety of ways that make sense to their audience. If the presenter is confident in their abilities to convey information, the students may be encouraged to ask pertinent questions that lead to engaging dialogue.

Christopher,
yes, these are all key factors to presenting an effective presentation as it shows that we understand the content & the audience.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

1. Know what point you are trying to make. ( Why should you spend your time listening to me?)
2. Know your Audience. ( So that you can make your talk relevant and necessary to these people in this space at this time. )
3. Be funny and polite. (Not 100% relevant, but almost always helps. People remember funny things.)
4. Don't be rushed. ( If you stress people out, they don't remember anything except the stress.)

Sign In to comment