Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

In the career field im in, you have to show and proove ,we have to lead by example. first i will demonstrate how its completed,then i will walk my students through it so they can have hands on

keelan,
I would say this is generally true for many areas in that we need to demonstrate our own competency.

Dr. Ryan Meers

True-everyone has an opionion that they feel is viable. Building credibility with others can be gained when you let them know that they have a right to share their ideas.

Katrena,
yes & the key is helping them to understand that not all opinions are as good as others, nor does it mean that I will automatically do what you want done. But, the credible leader listens to all.

Dr. Ryan Meers

You gain respect by earning it. You also gain credibility by earning it as well but you want to convey it much much quicker. Somehow if you let others talk about you, this is by far the best way to gain credibility rather than bragging or talking about yourself. I have seen many people literally brag about what they have done in the past and even if they have solved brain cancer, it does not impress people. However, if you let others talk about you, this carries so much weight, you become a legend. The trick is how?

Sonny,
to me the key is being genuine & demonstrating your abilities. If you are humble, I firmly believe others will quickly "brag you up."

Dr. Ryan Meers

when you give your full attention to a person, you begin to build a relationship. I often use the "reflecting content" for clarification and to instantly establish that I am actively listen.

For multiple interactions, I often try to refer back to that conversation when appropriate as a way of showing that I heard and remembered what was discussed.

I do monthly seminars for Nurses who are looking to earn a degree. Since I am not a nurse myself I rely on my experince in dealing with their peers over the years and relay my understanding of their situations. I also give examples and tell stories of the relationships I have built with their peers and this seems to work pretty well to build my credibility.

Experience is one of the biggest ways to gain credibility among an group. Using true stories you have gone through shows people that you are human and can relate to them.

kisha,
this is definitely true. I really like the real life examples.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I think that the ability to establish, grow, extend, and restore trust among people is the critical competency of leadership needed today. Trust is a competency that can be learned, applied, and understood. It is something that you can get good at, something you can measure and improve. You cannot be an effective leader without trust.
As Warren Bennis said, "Leadership without mutual trust is a contradiction in terms."
I try my best to built TRUST.

Mehrzad,
you are right that trust is key. Unfortunately, in today's environment many are not naturally trusting their leaders & so we must work hard to build this trust.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I try to build credibility by actively listening, keeping promises made and answering questions honestly. If I don't understand a questions I ask for clarification. If I don't know the answer I make sure to either find the answer or point the person in the right direction for the answer. This is how I build my credibility with others.

I always try to recognize other's credibility when establishing my own. It is important to recognize that we all have our areas of expertise and knowledge, and through mutual respect for one another I am often able to gain respect.

I also work to establish individual relationships which often proves beneficial when in a group setting working toward a common goal. investing time on the front end goes a long way toward lasting, trusting, and credible relationships.

Molly,
yes by building the relationship we can keep the focus off of the personal & have a greater chance of negotiating.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I keep my word and am always on time
I practice follow through in everything I do
and perform follow up immediately no more than three days or depending on the situation such as; if I email an employer resumes and have not received a response back within 30 minutes of email going out - I make a follow up phone call to them to ensure that service was met. I always do research on a topic or before going out to companies. I also am well informed about our product and provide testimonials as well as numbers.

I agree with that Michele,
That is why it is so important to me to have follow through in what I say I am going to do for our customers. I really strive in building business relationships but keeping it simple as well as listening. It took me a while to master keeping my mind racing with ideas or opinions I found that when I was doing that I was not listening so I had to take control and practice it. I realized I was missing so much about peoples lives and meeting the real need.

I have been taking some classes in my undergraduate classes regarding empathy along with listening and that makes your connection to customers or partners that much stronger.

MariaElena,
yes, there is no replacement for good, strong homework, research & follow through.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

MariaElena,
empathy is a key part of listening & a skill that can be fostered & developed & really must be if we are to be successful.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Sign In to comment