Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I will build my own credibility when interacting with others by first researching and aquiring sufficient knowledge about the subject at hand and continually maintaining an understanding and appreciation of the skills and work performed by those under my supervision.

William,
I think you're right on. Especially in regard to maintaining the understanding & appreciation of the skills & work of your direct reports. Way too often it seems this part is overlooked & this can quickly damage the credibility of the leader. Great perspective & ideas.

Ryan

People want to trust. The first thing I think is paramount is to have people know that you are genuinely concerned about being fair. You cannot be fair without looking at all perspectives. So you must take the time to ask questions and absorb other’s beliefs.
Second, I think that credibility is not being an expert in all areas about all things that you are trying to present/persuade. As an educator, I have often times led my class into subjects that I was not an expert in. Prior to being in that position however, I had laid the groundwork that I was an intelligent individual in other areas. If I did not know something, I would not feed them bull. I was honest that it was an area that I was not extremely knowledgeable in. Then I would research and report my findings. My students always knew they could count on me to be consistent and accurate.

I think that it often does take time to build credibility, but what about an individual that walks into an audience that they have never seen before and is required to present and yet be looked at instantly as credible? It is just something to ponder.

Absolutely! Great observations Cavin. To your first comment, listening is so key to building credibility with others.

In regard to your second comment, I could not agree with you more. I work with a lot of leaders who are afraid to admit they don't know everything because they operate from a twisted perspective that this admission would hurt their credibility. When, to your point, admitting that you are not the expert in everything but are willing to learn, this is the way to be credible. Great comments.

Ryan

Great question that I believe many who are called on to present in these type of situations face. In these situations I believe that initially you must rely on your credentials as to why you are there speaking for that credibility.

However, once the presentation begins, I think you start pulling in these other ideas such as being connected to your audience, demonstrating the work you have put in to acquiring this knowledge, etc.

Do you agree?
Ryan

It really is amazing how deep or how many levels communication happens on. Your point took it to a whole different level I hadn’t thought of. It really does pay to stop and ask yourself how can I achieve the goal I want and then consider every angle! A lot of times I write it down and ask a third party to read it and give me their view point. I am amazed at the different opinions I get. This is especially true from different cultural perspectives.

I am always honest and sincere. I try to relate to the other persons situation and establish a commonality. I also review statistics and facts with them.

Jenny,
I think what you have detailed here is a great first step toward building credibility. Others can definitely tell if we are not sincere. Another great way to build credibility is by listening to the other party. Too often when we are trying to persuade we try to dominate rather than listening to the other's concerns & ideas.
Ryan

it is amazing how far listening can take you in work and in life. Credibility is a huge factor in what i do for a living and it is always great to learn new ways of passing on the information. Thanks!

Communicating with your team improves with time. The team is watching you at all times and their impression of you can be influenced on those casual observations more than the direct contact.

I find that providing tools to solve problems for my co-workers in a timely manner helps build my credibility with them. When you have an issue that needs to be resolved, that causes stress. Once the issue is solved, the stress is lessened.

I believe actions and integrity are at the foundation of credibility. I must do what I say I'll do. My behavior must match my words.
I cannot expect anyone else to do what I ask of them if I do not follow the same path.

This is a great plan & along with this making sure they learn to use those same tools/skills.
Ryan

Christina,
This is a good point and I would add that you should be ready to communicate effectively if you should need to change paths or not be able to deliver on what you had said. We can't always deliver, so we need to be ready to provide a good explanation as to why the needed change.
Ryan

By establising your trust and expertise, you build the credibility you need to get your audience's attention and interest.

yes indeed and part of being prepared is:

researching your ideas

getting firsthand experience

Citing trusted sources

Mastering terminology to demonstrate you know the verbal shorthand that people in your audience use

And when appropriate, exposing your credentials

Alexandra,
You are exactly right, why should they listen to me on this point if I have no credibility & especially if they don't trust me?

Dr. Ryan Meers

Yes, which is why so important to establish your expertise and knowledge in order to gain that.

Alexandra,
Nothing can replace credibility which is built upon expertise & knowledge.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Sign In to comment