Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I research my ideas and believe firsthand in my experiences and what I am presenting to an audience. I do unto others as I want done unto me and I live with good character qualities, exemplify the good of human kind.

Susan Cuffari

Absolutely. Authenticity is key as others will quickly see through us & be able to tell if we're just spouting the "party line."
Ryan

I think along with this is showing genuine concern & care for the others involved in the situation. You may not know them very well, but when people know that you are interested in a successful resolution for all involved, then it will help guarantee a more successful outcome.
Ryan

I build my credibility by being viewed as trustworthy and genuine. I base my expertise on the experience and training I have acquired.

I agree in being someone who follows through on promises and commitments. I do make sure I am prepared by having done my homework so I am knowledgable about the subject at hand. I admit my shortcomings.

Yes, people do notice and note inconsistencies so if you are not truthful, you will not build credibility.

Great & I think we have to be careful how we convey our experience & training knowledge so as not to damage our credibility.
Ryan

Great. I think that by being prepared we also demonstrate to the other party that we're willing to consider their viewpoint & not just ours.
Ryan

So true. Can take a long time to build trust, but only an instant to kill it.
Ryan

I believe that you build credibility by being yourself, believe in your stand, therefore being truthful & showing your emotions/passion. You have to listen to what others are saying & show you are listening with body language and eye contact. Credibility will only be earned when you show respect for others, knowledge of the topic, and be truthful.

Absolutely. I heard an interview with Tony Blair yesterday regarding leadership & he talked about how one of the most important aspects of leadership is just doing what you say you're going to do. I think this is exactly what you're talking about in regard to building credibility.
Ryan

in my line business, experience is the most important factor for credibility.

I agree that experience is a great way for building credibility. I also believe that it is important to demonstrate your own integrity & your interest in the other person's agenda to help build credibility. This does not mean that you have to give in or buy in, but you acknowledge them by hearing them out.

Ryan

I don't think you can be credible in your position with out having any sort of expertise.

I agree, and that concept of "expertise" is so subjective isn't it? Working to truly show you have knowledge of the subject area is vital.

Ryan

To build my credibility with others I try to sound as sincere as possible when I speak about a subject but I also don't pretend to know something when I actually don't. If it's an answer to a question I'll let the other party know that I will find out as soon as possible or if it's a discussion about something I'll let the other party know I'm listening to what they have to say about the subject.

The way i build my own credibility with others is by following up on promises and commitments. Others trust me because i own up to what i promise them. If i say i am going to do somehthing for them, like finish a projet, i will do it. If for whatever reason i cannot follow through on a promise or commitment i will own up to it and be sincere. This builds my credibility because now they know they can trust me and that i do not conceal my flaws. This has earned me the reputation of being trustworthy in my organization.

Cynthia,
Great ways to build credibility. I think what I hear is that you communicate & keep your peers, superiors, etc informed. This is huge. I have found that most people are willing to work with us as long as we keep them informed if we are going to be late on a commitment.

Always remember that credibility takes a long time to build, but can be destroyed in a moment.
Ryan

I listen to others then I relate with them with sound credentials.

Listening is definitely a huge part of building credibility as it demonstrates a willingness to hear what others have to say.

I'm curious as to what you mean by relating to them with sound credentials? Could you tell me more about this, it sounds like a great approach & I would like to get some further insight.

Thanks,
Ryan

Sign In to comment