Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

In my environment, the number one factor is experience. Once that is determined, I strive to be open and relatable to my audience. Open communication is key and honesty.

Jong ,
yes, experience is the means by which we can greatly establish our credibility.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I always nod and approve when others share their opinions, as if I agree, then I will add, "thank you for your thoughts and sharing them with the group...but.. this can be a better approach"....and then correct any wrong comments or thinking, but first always agree and build up confidence
Diana Lane

I really believe in the body language connection that 80% of our message is not coming out of mouths! It is relayed through our body language!
When in heated discussions, the calm relaxed arms and face can "cool" down heated comments.
Diana Lane

I really admire individuals such as yourself who can listen and not speak....that is one area of self growth I am actively working on. I need to listen more, we have two ears to listen and one mouth....so I should use the two ears more!!! I do see what you are saying that keeping them talking gives you time to "figure them out" and build trust.
Diana Lane

I really agree with being Genuine. In a world full of deceptions it is refreshing and shows clients/patients/students that we really care and stand by what we say and do.
Wonderful comment!
Diana Lane

I let people know how many years I have worked in ICU/ER and how many states I have worked in, as it shows me as being well rounded and not just "set in my ways"....Experience and success at other locations in various situations builds your credibility. Having Positive feedback from prior jobs/students/patients works to build credibility also. Word of mouth is a power credibility builder! Diana Lane

Diana,
I like your emphasis on the variety of places you've worked & the emphasis on your flexibility & adaptability.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Diana,
I learned from a gentleman I worked with to use the word "and" instead of "but" as then I can agree with them, affirm their statement, & then correct where needed without negating everything they've said.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Diana,
yes, nonverbals are powerful & we need to monitor our own & those of others.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Diana,
I too struggle with this & have many times found myself prattling on & thinking in my head, "Shut up Ryan!"

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Diana,
and as you said with all of the deception & double talk around us, it is so refreshing when we find someone who is honest & genuine.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Self confidence, specially when you have full knowledge of what you are talking to others.

Alejandro,
yes, this is important, but to balance with humility.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I try to assess every situation that may require persuasion individually.
In the classroom, I like to do an introductory ice -breaker where I learn a lot about the students on our first encounter.

This gives me background information on the students and then I conclude the excercise by telling about my self, my background, and tailor my presentation of the subject based on what I have heard from the students.

I believe by doing this it allows me to get a feel on how to best reach the students and they establish trust in me because they know that I am working to connect with them.

Isabel,
great point & research & investigation is a key skill for being a skilled persuader.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Show you have experience/education. Be open with your body language. Have a reputation for being trustworthy.

Linda,
yes, demonstrate confidence, but not arrogance.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I tend to start with sincerity. I let the audience know what I have been through .....the good and the bad, then I tell them how I will move forward.

Shelly,
yes, when we can really connect with our audience on a personal level, it helps us so much more.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Sign In to comment