Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Craig,

A four week course has to be intense. You bring up a good point about how much you can involve students in the rubric development process in various couses. Thanks!

BRIGITTE ,

I like to provide students with rubrics and use them on the first few assignments and then let them actually develop a rubric for an upcoming assignment and work together to make it the best rubric as possible. Thanks for your input.

Involving students in creating rubrics is beneficial. It helps the students understand the expectations and motivates them to perform better. It also makes the students responsible.

I believe that we could share the Rubrics and Expectations in the class and ask for their comments, questions.

Thank you,

Sitara

Nagalakshmi ,

I typically start by giving students rubrics and discuss them before grading the assignment. Then, for the big project, I involve students in developing the rubric and this helps them better understand the importance of the project and they have to provide the details for the criteria. It is helpful. Thanks for adding to this forum.

Dr. Crews,
I think students can be involved at anytime during the process. For example, you can input from them when building the rubric, and you can get it when you to improve it after it has been implemented.

Don,
I appreciate your thoughts and agree with most of it. However I disagree with you regarding the over time use. I think that students are an important part of the improvment process, and they can bring freash ideas in at anytime during the process.

Dale,

Thanks for your input. We all have our views, typically based on our experience. Students can be an essential part of the learning process and have fresh, new ideas. Thanks!

Dale,

You can start from "scratch" with students and let them help you build the rubric. The can use the rubric to self-assess, peer-assess and provide feedback on the rubric at any time. These are all ways to keep them involved and engaged. Thanks for your input in this and all of the forums.

This is an interesting question and one that I am uncertain as to the answer. I believe once the deliverable is discussed, then the student could discuss a rubric that would be suitable. I would hesitate to give the student a blank rubric but rather solicit their input as to what would constitute A work for that particular deliverable. I wonder if students would view that you are taking up valuable classroom time to have them do your job for you. Consequently the instructor would have to articulate why the students are being brought into the process. There is also that concern that the students could set the bar too low so that the grade was easier to achieve and it would be interesting to find out what research shows to be the quality of the student input when they contribute to the development of rubrics.

Sharon,

I see your point. I think it's important to think about how you approach the students. They're not doing your job, they are developing criteria they think is important to be evaluated on. These may be different criteria than the ones you would choose. They also have to analyze the project/assignment. They are at some point in their life going to have to assess something or someone and they need this skill. That's the way I look at it. Thanks again.

Input from the student allows the instructor the ability to tweak the rubric. There is a possibility that the rubric could be is vague or unclear on something that the students could point out and help the instructor make the rubric better.

maryln,

Definitely. The input from the students may also help the instructor tweak the assignment or project. When one needs tweaking, look at the other as well. Thanks for your input.

I would involve students during the development phase in a pilot test. This will help me to get some feedback from students. I will then incorporate the feedback their feedback during review and revision before implementing the rubric. After one session I would contact me students to get their feedback and comments. I will have to adjust the rubric according to students' feedback. Thanks, Tom

Tom,

Good point! Sounds like you have a plan on how to involve students. Thanks for doing this.

Take care.

Student involvement is a good way to ensure the students are participating; that you and the students grasp what you want and what they should learn and provide back to you - their instructor - for a positive grade evaluation.

Faith ,

Good point. We have to stress the importance of student engagement and how they will learn more from that engagement. Through their engagement, we can better assess what they know or don't know to better assist them in improving. Thanks!

This type of modification based on the ongoing feedback of students is very effective. As instructors we can (in most cases) revise and tweak the rubrics if we see patterns and hear those same questions repeated. I think this is the most practical way to involve students, especially in the online setting where courses move very quickly. Students need every opportunity to complete assignments, so involving them too much in the rubric design may not be the best use of their time and effort.

John,

Yes, with feedback we can revise many things included in the online course. However, rubrics are one of those things. Nice job.

In my on-site classes, I ask students what should an assignment measure. We brainstorm the ways learning would be demonstrated when it comes to that particular topic. In the online classes, this is not possible, but we do discuss the rubric and talk about the ways we could use the rubric to make sure that the work produced satisfies what the rubric asks for.

Sabahudin,

Brainstorming with students is a good thing. When you involve students, they think more critically about the assignment/project, etc. Thanks for your input.

Dr. Tena B. Crews

Sign In to comment