Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Melissa,

Excellent. Any time students are not motivated, involving them in the assessment may help turn that around. Good thought. Let us know how it goes.

Betsy,

I agree. You get the students vested in the evaluation process. Also, they will in turn understand the expectation more clearly. Thanks!

It is important to assess what students believe is relevant to learn in their field. They may have valuable input here!

Rebecca,

Right on. The students bring great experiences they can share in the classroom - whether F2F or online. We need to "tap" into those experiences for sure. Thanks!

I believe it would be very advantageous to include students in developing the rubric for an assignment. It will motivate the students because it will enhance their feeling of involvement. It also provides the student with the opportunity to determine the specific requirements of the assignment.

Patrice,

I do too. The more we can involve students, the more they will be motivated to learn. Thanks!

I believe it is beneficial to involve students in creating a project-based rubric. You get to see what the students think is the most important criteria in developing the project. It also allows the student to feel like they are being graded fairly.

Tammy,

Cool. Sounds like you maybe have tried this and it works for you and your students. Thanks so much.

In post-secondary course, an instructor can get students immediately involved in the rubric development process as long as they are given guidance and expectations. The instructor should periodically check-in to see how things are coming along.

Jay Familant

Jay,

The periodic check-in is excellent. We have to make sure they are on track.

Involving students in building rubrics is a great motivational tool, especially when starting group projects. It is very helpful to explain the rationale behind the development of the rubrics. The more they understand why they are doing it, the more buy-in you get.

Val,

I agree. The more we can involve students, the better. It's good to have their buy-in for sure. Thanks!

Only when the instructor is given that kind of independance

Only when the instructor has the ability to make the changes in the first place.

Kevin,

That's true. I think involving them in the process would provide much information to the instructor and institution.

Kevin,

But, the information they can provide through the process is invaluable. Thanks!

Always! I have to admit I am not a fan in rubrics as I believe that blindly used they can stifle innovation and creativity. I do not always want to read the "standard" answer, I want students to use their brains, feelings, opinions, and think outside the box. I hadn't considered allowing students to help develop the rubric. I have allowed students to write their own finals before, but for some reason I never gave writing their own rubrics a thought. Have to give it a try.

-Chris

Dr. Christopher,

Ah man - then you haven't see a great rubric. I have even seen creative writing instructors use rubrics effectively. I use them with writing assignments in business communication and by simply putting in a line item about being creative, helps the students. Just my two cents. ;-p

Dr. Crews,
I believe that students can be involved in creating rubrics when there is a project involved. Since students will sometimes spend an entire semester on a project, it helps them to understand what the project is about, what they will be doing, and how they will be measured. If students are involved in creating a rubric for the project, their excitement increases and they really become that more involved in the process. Students level of engagement improves.

Jeannine Wieland

I have worked with creating rubrics, but have not had the experience of involving students in creating rubrics. However, I thought this would be an interesting topic to respond to. Involving students in creating rubrics could be valuable in helping students achieve outcomes. The development of these rubrics could involve students for with peer-related outcomes (such as peer-reviewed papers or assignments). They could also be used in helping students evaluate their own work.

Sign In to comment