Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Dr. Crews:

According to the readings, "[i]nvolving students in the development of rubrics is particularly useful when they are involved in project-based learning." This is especially advantageous in a group project as a way to hold members accountable and overcome the 'free rider' problem in my view. As students develop rubrics to assess their learning and their peers' learning, they also learn to connect the course outcomes to the project objectives." This focuses group activity and promotes cohesion. Ricardo

RICARDO,

Yes, I typically provide rubrics for a few assignments so they see how they are developed and connect to the objectives and then I involve them in the development of a rubric for the final project. Just a thought!

I would involve the students after the lecture/s have been given and the assignment has been introduced. Ask the students what level of detail they feel would be an example of different levels of answers. Give different types of examples and have them decide if they would give it a "1,2,or 3" - and why. Of course, as the facilitator, you would have to lead the discussion and keep the students on track - just as if you were presenting case based instruction. I think it would be a lot of fun to design a rubric this way. It would turn out mainly how you had it pre-designed - but you could add or delete criteria based on their feedback.

Kristina,

Good points. Involving the students may give them a different outlook on assessment. We have to remember that assessment is not something we do to our students, but with our students. ;-) Thanks again.

I do think it is possible to involve students in developing the rubric. It is definetly beneficial for the students as the course content states, "Bringing students into the assessment process can enhance student motivation, interest, and performance"(CEE, 2014). However, personally I think it really depends on the assignment and/or project. In terms of myself, I would rather have students involved in the development of the assignments. I've taught project orientated classes most of my teaching career and I find that students really enjoying creating the components of an assignment that they would enjoy working on. From that point, I think it would possible to involve students in the development of the rubric as a learning experience.

Vicki,

Good point. Having students involved in the development of assignments is a good thing too, but it can lead directly then into the development of the rubric to assess the assignment. That would go hand in hand. Thanks for your input.

I think that students should be involved in the process in the evaluative stages. In other words, after I have given an assignment, I will often ask the students for feedback on not only what I told them, but also on what they were assessed on. I often asked if the percentages were fair and whether there was something I missed in the evaluation of their project. That way, each set of students can help me create robust and helpful rubrics.

Scott,

Asking for students' feedback is important. We can learn from them just as they are learning from them. There is also buy in on their part when they feel a part of the process. Thanks!

I think that you could involve students at all levels - inception, implementation, and review. That would make the most sense to me.

Erin,

Good point. I typically give students rubrics and assess a few times with rubrics to help them understand the process and see some examples and then involve them. But, I too have them develop it (inception), assess themselves and their peers (implementation) and then we review the rubric. Thanks!

I could involve students in creating a rubrics when it is a group presentation that they have to design for a final project. I allow the group members to evaluate each person in the group and their individual performances outside of the classroom. With the students creating or assisting in creating the rubric it would allow them to accurately assess their team members.

Patrick,

Good point. It's a good way to get them all involved and it will also help them understand the expectations. Thanks for your input.

I have never had the opportunity to include students in the development of my rubrics. However, I have asked students for feedback on the rubrics during a course.

Christen Embry

Christen,

Getting feedback from students on the rubrics is helpful as well. Their feedback can be very helpful as we continue to refine our rubrics. Thanks for sharing.

To be perfectly honest, I had never thought of involving students with the creation of a rubric. However, it makes perfect sense to me. Student involvement in education is a very positive aspect, it helps students understand their education and feel a part of their education. Just like a manager would solicit feedback from his/her employees, an Instructor can solicit feedback from his/her students. The feeling of being a part of something from its creation will also hel the student understand the development of the criteria.

Jeannie,

Great. Glad you think it may help build the feeling of community in your classroom. It's worth a try. Thanks!

Involving students in rubric development can be very motivating - the students are involved, and invested in the process and end result.
This is particularly useful in project work, where each student spends a lot of time producing a body of work - and they want to make sure that the time/effort and outcomes are measures accordingly. Each students has concern about the impact and weight of their contribution to the whole.
I present the project to the teams with the overview, learning objectives and expected outcomes; ask for feedback and rubric assessments for each incremental assignment, project and at the end, a team and inidividual assessment.

Betsy,

I agree. Anything we can do to help motivate students, is worth a try. Rubrics can be beneficial to both the instructors and students. Thanks for your input.

I teach online courses and think that students would benefit from creating a rubric for the discussion forums. It can be difficult to motivate students to post beyond the minimum requirements in a discussion board. If they were to develop a rubric for their discussion activity I think they would more motivated to be more active in the discussions. They might have a better understanding of what it takes to be outstanding in discussions. ~Melissa

Involving students in rubric development can be very motivating - the students are involved, and invested in the process and end result.
This is particularly useful in project work, where each student spends a lot of time producing a body of work - and they want to make sure that the time/effort and outcomes are measures accordingly. Each students has concern about the impact and weight of their contribution to the whole.
I present the project to the teams with the overview, learning objectives and expected outcomes; ask for feedback and rubric assessments for each incremental assignment, project and at the end, a team and inidividual assessment.

Sign In to comment