Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

John,

I like your phrase "dig into the rubric." We do have to help the students see how the rubric can benefit them as they do the assignment. Nice job.

The components of a rubric include:

Rubrics are generally comprised of four essential parts: a scale, descriptors, criteria, and standards

Melinda ,

Right on! Do you think one part is more essential than the others?

Thanks!

I believe there are two important components- the criteria and the scale. The criteria should assist the learner in specifically what is going to be evaluated. The scale should give weight to each criteria. In some cases, I will determine that each criteria should contain the same scale while in other situations, I might really place a strong emphasis on a particular criteria.

Rick,

Right on! The criteria and the scale are essential. We have to carefully consider what we are assessing and which criteria would be the best to assess the learning outcomes. Thanks!

Rubrics are composed of four basic elements. At the minimum a rubric should include the following:

1. A description of the task - the outcome being assessed.
2. Characteristics to will be rated - skills, knowledge, and performance to be established.
3. Scale/Levels of mastery - labels describing the levels of mastery should be easily understandable.
4. A clear description of individual characteristics at each level of mastery/scale.

robert,

Thanks for your description in four parts. It helps others understand more clearly.

Nice job.

Generally grading rubrics is composed of three parts:
i. Criteria
ii. Levels of competency
iii. An assignment of value to each level.
Criteria. There are two types of criteria, those relating to your content objectives, and those relating to the process objectives. Content objectives are generally what you want your students to remember,understand, or comprehend about the content. The second part is process objectives which is about the processes in which students use the basic knowledge. e.g. like application, analysis and manupulation.
There is also levels of competency. Here the grading rubrics are generally represented by a number of level. There should be atleast two or more levels. Each of the level will artculate the extent of the student's competency in fulfilling the criteria.
Finally there will be assignment of value or grade which contains a numeric or grade assignment of each level that indicates whether the student has mastered thee instructional objective.

michael,

Excellent description. Thanks for articulating the importance of the criteria, competency level and points assigned for each level. Adding the objectives to the rubrics is also helpful to students. Thanks!

Hello Dr. Crews,

The parts of a rubric include: a) a scale that indicates how points should be assigned; b) criteria that describe what conditions must be met to achieve a particular level of points; c) standards that specify how well criteria must be met; d) descriptors to describe criteria and standards.

As part of the descriptors, indicators, such as examples can be used to flesh out the teacher’s understanding of the criteria.

Sincerely,
Michael Luzius

Michael ,

Thanks for the good description. Do you use rubrics and find them helpful?

Thanks again.

. There has to be some type of scale to indicate how points will be assigned.
2. Criteria to indicate what you must do to get a certain level of points
3. The standards that indicate how the criteria must be met.
4. The descriptors that describe the criteria and standards.
They should all tie in together to produce a good reliable rubrics

Aisling,

Excellent. The criteria, descriptors and scale all have to be integrated together to help the students understand the expectations and how they will be graded. Thanks!

Wow,it's been awhile since I've worked on this course. I'm so glad it didn't boot me out.

I love the information given about rubics. I think I'm probably not alone when I say I've made many mistakes discussed here in creating rubrics. I've been guilty of thinking this was easy and I would just google "rubric for......" and use what's there. BUT, of course I've been mistaken. mostly because it didn't always evaluate what I needed...and certainly what I taught. But I do like the online ones because it opens lots of possibilities and offers suggestions.

Our text talks about five categories to consider. I have a question or two on them.

The text suggests work quality, methods, content, impact, and sophistitcation of the performance.

I think it's important to point out....the text says we should "consider" these categories. I'm sure it depends on the task being evaluated, of course, but I think it also matters how you are whether you are grading analytical or wholistic. Much of my content is wholistic...sort of. In other words, I grade for the process...I look to see HOW they got to their end product, not just the end product.

My question is with impact. I'm not sure I understand this one and wonder if anyone would like to offer an example or just to expand a little on that.

I tried to quickly write a response to this question and totally missed the point. Hopefully, I got it deleted. If not....sorry.

The parts of a rubric the text talks about are: a weighted scale. I've been the consumer that googles rubrics off line and then adapts them to my use. Mostly for this reason: I hate trying to figure out the scale and making sure that I've covered every area in the descriptor that is needed.
Additionally, the text discusses the descriptors as well as the standards.

It was under criteria that I had a question: I've created rubrics to use primarily in a wholistic manner. But I wonder if anyone has some further explanation of impact. Our text states "the success of performance, givent he purpose....." but does anyone have an example?

Carol,

Welcome back! I'm glad you found time to "catch up." Thinking about the process and product separately sometimes helps us, and our students, think carefully about the assignment/project. We then begin to break it down into components or tasks and see that the entire project is achievable through these steps. Nice job.

Carol,

No worries. You added so much to the conversation in this posting that we'll overlook any others! Ha! I think they key to connecting the success of the performance to the purpose is to actually put the objectives in the rubric. I connect each component (typically one row) to the objectives I am measuring. Then students can then see what they are working toward and the purpose of the project/assignment. Hope this is helpful.

As discussed in our lesson, rubrics have four distinct components:
Scale
Descriptors
Criteria
Standards

It is imperative that each of these components are clearly defined to ensure students are aware of what is expected of them.

Mischel,

Nice job. Sometimes we forget the components.

Thanks for your input.

Dr. Crews:

According to the readings, rubrics are comprised of four basic parts: a scale, descriptors, criteria, and standards. A scale indicates points to be assigned in scoring a piece of work on a continuum of quality. Descriptors for each level of performance describe criteria and standards by which the performance will be judged. Indicators are often used in descriptors to provide examples or signs of performance in each level. Criteria are items that describe the conditions that any performance must meet to be successful. Standards specify how well criteria must be met. Ricardo

Sign In to comment