Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Sharon,

Great description of rubrics and their parts. I typically use points instead of percentages, but it can be done either way. We all need to do what works for us.

The essential parts of a rubrics would be a scale, descriptors, criteria, and standards. The scale would show the points value, descriptors would explain the criteria and standards which the performance of the assessment would be evaluated. Criteria explains or describes the individual items for the conditions that the assessment has to be meet to be considered successful.

I use points also, but I have colleagues who use a weighted average. This weights the components of the rubric based on what the instructor felt was the most important learning/skill/competency for the student to demonstrate. I thought I was doing that basically by awarding a greater number of points for the most important skill. Do you know what the benefit of using a weighted average is and are they any resources that discuss this scale for a rubric?

maryln,

Good description of the essential parts. There's more to making a good rubric than just "whipping" something up quickly. Thank you.

Sharon,

Typically I have found that instructors use weighted averages if they think they may add one more quiz or drop the lowest quiz or something like that. Then, no matter how many quizzes (or whatever) they give, they are still 30% (or whatever the weight was). Thanks for the question.

The rubric need to include the categories on how their grade will be determined.

maryln,

Can you be more specific about these categories and how the relate to the criteria? This is important. Additional input would be appreciated. Thanks!

A rubric should contain a scale, descriptors, criteria, and standards. "A scale ensures that a rubric is objective (i.e. poor, fair, good, excellent, work). Descriptors (indicators) normally describe for each level of performance the criteria and standards by which the performance will be judged. Criteria is used to assess the work for students so that they can to see improvement in their work or skill. Standards normally specify how well criteria must be met" (Source Module 3).

Thanks, Tom

Tom,

Nice job. I think one of the things that "stumps" instructors the most are the criteria. They have to be "spot on" to be helpful and efficient. Thanks!

By creating and using a Scale for instance Satisfactory (2), it alarms the student that he/she needs to strive to prepare and complete good or excellent assignments. Another purpose for Scaling is for Teachers to improve on how he/she presents the subject to students by including additional information about the subject so that the student can understand the coursework. Descriptors judges students' performance while Criteria gives a description of the conditions regarding the performance. One of the five criteria categories is content. Though Standards are based on the criteria is met, it is important that each level of scoring is clear and depicts specific elements regarding the issue.

Sabrina Sanders

Sabrina,

Scaling is essential along with appropriate criteria when developing rubrics. They play an important role in helping students understand the expectations. Thanks!

Rubrics usually spell out the criteria needed for the assignment. A rubric lists the criteria, or characteristics, that student work should exhibit and describes specific quality levels for those criteria. It is structured like a matrix.

George,

Yes, the criteria are key elements in the rubric. Without proper criteria, the rubric is not effective. Also, connect everything to the learning objectives. Thanks!

I agree! The rubric provides a clear understanding for our students on what our expectations are from them. For example, from a competency point of view and from basic grammar, spelling, and format of paper/assignments.

Matthew,

Right on! When students understand the expectations more clearly, they are more likely to achieve the learning outcomes and the rubrics help with this task. Thanks!

I use rubrics to assist with the grading process in order to grade student assignments as objectively as possible. There are four basic parts to the rubric which helps to make the grading process uniform for the instructor and easier to understand by the student. Each of these parts is broken into categories of some sort and assigned a numeric value which together provides the overall assessment of the assignment.

The first part is to provide some type of scale that is weighted to indicate where improvement may or may not be needed by the student. For example, if a student wrote a one page paper on the use of bar coding when administering medications the rubric should have a scale that can measure whether the student has mastered understanding (3), shows knowledge (2), or basic understanding (1).

The next part is establishing a standard for how well the student was able to discuss the material. From the previous example did the student address the important components that should be included when administering medications when using a bar code (3), addressed most components (2), or unable to discuss required components (1).

The third part is establishing criteria to determine the strengths or weakness within the assignment that the student exhibited. The last part is descriptors which assesses how well the student was able to perform at each level.

Parts of a Rubric, lecture.

Sandra,

You have some good categories for your rubric. Thanks for sharing. Many times instructors forget how important the categories are as well as the criteria. Thanks!

According to the lesson, rubrics should include a scale, descriptors, criteria, and standards.

The scale provides the point value that will be used to assess the submission.

Descriptors identify the criteria and standards that are will be used to assess the submission.

Criteria explain what must be done to be considered successful.

Standards establish the level of performance that the criteria must meet.

John,

Good summary. The criteria are essential to help the students understand the expectations and help you assess their work.

Thanks!

It certainly is a fine line between too much and too little info as described. Students can still be required to think critically if the rubric incorporates course concepts/terminology. In other words, they'd need to dig into the rubric and learn more about the subject when preparing the assignment. The rubric in a sense is a tool to help them in creating the assignment, not just reviewing their grades after the fact.

Sign In to comment