Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Camesha,

Right on target. Thanks!

Dr. Tena B. Crews

The two key components of a rubric are criteria and descriptors. Clearly laying out exactly what will be assessed and in what context allows the student to approach the assignment with expected outcomes in mind (assuming they review the rubric first). :)

Kimberly,

Yes, the descriptors and criteria are essential. Without those, there is no guidance or possibility of being consistent in evaluating students. Thanks.

Rubrics should contain several elements. One of the elements is a discriptor in which the assignment can be aptly described as to how well the assignment was written. Another element is the points assigned. Based on how the assignment was described, it would fit in several possible categories, e.g, below average, average, above average, and excellent. A third element would be how each category is measured, i.e, what parts of an assignment would fit into which category. It must be clear and obvious to both the instructor and the student how this assignment was measured, why it was put in a certain category, what points were awarded, and indications on how a student might improve (if applicable). All these parts or elements of a rubric ensure an efficient and effective rubric for the learner and the instructor.

Laurie ~

You provided the basic elements for a rubric ~ do you think that is possible to write a rubric that is too general to be effective? How do we ensure that we avoid such ineffective rubrics?

Steve

Stephen,

Your posting provides a great description. Thanks for your input.

Stephen,

Good question. They can be too generic/simple. The criteria are key. Thanks.

The basic parts of the rubric are the grid, criteria and scale. There are also Holistic, Analytic, General, Task specific rubrics.

Darren,

It is good to think about the various types if rubrics and what you are wanting to assess. Thanks.

Four essential parts of a rubric: a scale, descriptors, criteria, and standards. Together, these components tell the learner the following: What is being evaluated in the assignment, what core elements of the assignment are being graded per the rubric. It tells the learners the scale of evaluation, from 1-5 typically, of how the assignment will be critiqued. It tells the learner to what degree each element of the assignment needs to meet a particular standard (explains the scale).

Natalie,

Thanks for your input. It is important to think about these parts as a whole rubric. We can expand each part as needed, but also make sure the parts work together. Thank you for your input.

After reviewing this module it is my understanding that the basic parts of a rubric must include specific information in order for it to be a success. Those essential parts for the rubrics must include a scale, descriptors, criteria and standards.
A. The scale should indicate the number of points to be assigned to each portion of work assigned. This helps with the clarity of explaining to the students portions of the assignment that need to be improved. The scale should be displayed on the rubric.
B. The descriptors describe the criteria and standards in which the performance will be judged.
C. The criteria elements make up the impact, work, methods, content and performance. The criteria must be clear and logic as well as substantiate.
D. Standards give a complete response with clear and unambiguous explanation. It actually identifies all the important portions of the problem.
Knowing the basic parts of the rubric will assist students in understanding why they received the grade earned and provided.

revonna,

Excellent information. I like the way you took the components and discussed them. This is helpful to all who read your post. Thanks again.

According to the course module the parts of the rubric should be: a scale, descriptors, criteria, and standards. I would also like to add that most rubrics I have seen have a range showing numbers (1 – 5) ranges. The depicters should have a set of standards. The criteria could mean the achievement or desired results, and the standards could mean making a screenshot of all work completed.

Darcel,

Thanks for your input. I like the way you discuss what the criteria and standards may mean. Good examples.

Per our discussion, rubrics are comprised of FOUR parts: scale, descriptors, criteria and standards.

The scale discussion is of most interest to me:
Scale examples:
• "Needs Improvement (1)... Satisfactory (2)... Good (3)... Exemplary (4)"
• "Beginning (1)... Developing (2)... Accomplished (3)... Exemplary (4)"
• "Needs work (1)... Good (2)... Excellent (3)"
• "Novice (1)... Apprentice (2)... Proficient (3)... Distinguished (4)"
• "Poor (1)… Fair (2)… Average (3)… Very good (4)… Excellent (5)"

Janis,

Good description. I like your scales as well. Thanks for including them in your forum answer.

The basic parts of a rubric include scales, descriptors, criteria, and standards.

The scale designates points possible respresenting various levels of quality.

Descriptors describe exactly what is expected (criteria) in the work by which the performance will be judged.

The criteria describes what needs to be present in order to obtain the highest score possible.

The standards specify how well the criteria must be met.

Dulcinea,

Excellent description. Thanks for your input. Your description is clear and will help other understand.

Dr. Tena B. Crews

From the reading material the parts of a rubric include a scale, standards, descriptors, and criteria.

Scales indicate points to be assigned to a task.

Standards specify how criteria will be met.

Descriptors - what criteria and standards will be used to evaluate the work.

Five categories to be considered when developing criteria include the following:Impact – the success of performance; Work quality – the organization and comprehensiveness of the work;
Methods – how well procedures were executed and presented;Content – the accuracy; and
Sophistication – the complexity of the knowledge used (critical thinking.

Sign In to comment