Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Aaron,

Good point. As we use the rubrics, we have to think about the assignment as well and whether or not they connect correctly. We can also get feedback once we use the rubric from the students to enhance the rubric for the next time we use it. Thanks!

Rubrics require the instructor to devote attention to all of the objectives, rather than focusing on the most obvious ones. I think this helps alleviate grade inflation since students will know exactly where their assignment scored points and where points were deducted.

John,

Yes, the objectives are key to the development and use of rubrics. I am thrilled you brought this up. I actually list the objectives that the rubric is connected to so students can more easily understand why they are doing what they are doing. Thanks!

Hello,
Some faculty could make the rubric too complicated by adding too many criteria. They could also develop a rubric that does not assess what should be looked at.

Catherine,

The criteria are essential. Too many can be confusing, but too little can not serve the purpose as well. Thanks for your input.

I have most of my rubrics created for me. I think that very little is devoted to the actual product in terms of how the assignment is presented. Since the world we live in requires a lot of attention to things such as spelling, mechanics, layout and neat organization, I believe that the assignments should have a larger amount of points devoted to this aspect. However, I see that most of the rubrics give only 10% for the named components. If the sentence is written but no one can understand it, has it really been written?

Sabahudin,

Can you not edit the rubric? A rubric that does not assist the students in understanding the expectations, assess the assignment/project with appropriate criteria and help you assess how to help the students improve, it not a good rubric. See if you can at least providing some input into the rubrics.

Thanks!

The biggest mistake I see is that institutionally developed rubrics target the wrong criteria, are not linked to student improvement and have ranges for "levels" within a criteria.

I'd like to help them along, but I need some sources.

Can someone provide a source(s) that documents empirically that having these ranges of scores within levels contributes to lower inter-rater reliability, to too great a variance in scoring or to decreased student learning?

The main mistakes I've made in the past when creating rubrics it to be too open ended with the criteria, which can cause arguments or grade inflation.

Gregory,

Thank you for brining that up. The instructor should be able to adjust the rubric provided to them so that it is ensured that the rubric is measuring what it should be measuring. The instructors are the closest to the content, objectives, and assessment so they should have that flexibility. Thanks!

Michael,

Definitely. We have to be very careful with the criteria and categories we use in the rubrics. With careful consideration, we can help students move closer to the learning objectives. Thanks!

The biggest and most common mistake I see in an online environment as far as reubrics go focuses on thefocal point of what is deemed most important. You and I may teach the same unit over rubrics. As a teacher with a background in English, I may focus on the spelling, grammar, and format of how well- or poorly- the assessment tool is completed by the student. At the same time, you may focus on the advantages and disadvantages of using rubrics. Your approach may be contextual and you may not put much focus on grammar, format, or mechanics.

Rick,

The key to an effective rubric, though, are the criteria and that the rubric is connected directly to the learning outcomes. The students have to understand how what they are doing is connect to what they are supposed to be accomplishing in the course. Thanks!

I think the greatest mistake is not planning for revision of the rubric. Before a rubric is perfected, it takes many rounds of experimentation and then re-writing.

Janette,

We have to assess everything we do but rubrics me their criteria are essential to the learning process. We have to make sure they are up to par. Thanks.

Common mistakes I've observed were the following:
• Not using the course objectives for the criteria- can’t measure student progress.
• Not clear about the criteria – confuses the student.
• Too many criteria- time-consuming to grade
• Point weights are not appropriate to the task-doesn’t provide correct points earned by a student (example 50% for reference, 50% content).
• The used a generic rubric (with all the program’s objective criteria) in assignments- some of the criteria may not apply to that assignment.

I have noticed that too. They are able to comprehend the research they have done and discussed why it supports or not supports their initial hypothesis.

I agree. I also teach visual design, and we make a recommendation on the rubric change. Faculty's feedback to the class is very important to the program's refinement.

The new virtual campus platform does allow us to make changes. However, we want to make sure it’s approved by the program chair. This ensures by that “End of the Course," the grade data gathered across the different sections of the course is consistent (reliable tool).

Oftentimes students anticipate grade inflation. To avoid this issue, I clarify the rubric and class expectation from the beginning in the class. And explain that meeting assignment's requirements don't equate an “A."

I teach a design portfolio class, and student often assumed that a working portfolio is an “A." I explain, the scale/level of points earned is based upon the quality of the content in the design portfolio, the professionalism of its execution and other criteria in that specific assignment.

It also helps to post the weekly assignment’s rubric in the announcement board, review it in the chat and email it to them in the beginning of each project.

Racquel ,

This takes some practice. Keep moving forward to help them connect the dots.

Thanks.

Sign In to comment