Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Simone,

When rubrics are not clear, they can be more confusing to the student than helpful. This is not a good thing so thanks for bringing up things we should think about as we use/create rubrics. Thanks!

The biggest mistake I see includes vague wording.

I would rather have a rubric that gives a clear indication of what is expected and how many points or what percentage completion will earn.

One common mistake that is made when developing rubrics is a miscalculation with the points not aligning to what is conveyed in the syllabus. It is important that rubrics make it simple for the student to see where points have been deducted and that they match properly to the syllabus.

Jay Familant

Jane,

Vagueness can be the downfall of a rubric. We have to be clear in the criteria and help students understand the expectations. Thanks!

Jay,

Good point. We have to make sure it supports the whole - the grading component of the syllabus. Thanks!

One of the mistakes that I have seen creating rubrics is creating too many categories or items on the rubric. I tend to like leaving them a little looser and making them more student centered. It is very easy to create such a tight rubric that an instructor can influence student work and eliminate reflection. The other mistake I have seen is for instructors to create the rubric after the assignment is assigned, as "oh crap, guess what I forgot." This causes the students to have no idea what the instructor is looking for and is unfair.

-Chris

Dr. Christopher,

Yes, we can at times try to make them very detailed and some times they become too confusing. We have to review them as well to make sure we don't forget key items. Thanks!

Dr. Crews,
I think some of the mistakes that are made in making rubrics is attempting to add too much content to the rubric. Also, not explaining the criteria throughly and not thinking about the assigment outcomes. What is it you want the student to learn and to be able to demonstrate if there is a task involved. Also, not writing the rubric clealy, so students can understand what it is they need to do for the assignment.

Jeannine Wieland

In my experience, mistakes instructors make when creating rubrics, is focusing on one aspect instead of criteria that can be used to evaluate all levels of performance. For instance, a rubric that is heavy on writing skills, when there are other criteria or requirements that could valuable from the assignment. I have also seen where the scale could use improvements, where the distribution of points are not consistent with the outline of the assignment requirements.

A Rubric can be specific but I have been too analytical when developing a Rubric and I have also waited until the last minute (because I received a new class at the last minute) and it was murderous for everyone with all the continual changes/updates to the document which resulted in confusion to the students.

Jeannine,

Yes, when we try to add to much the students can become confused and that can cause issued. Clean and simple is a good way to think about designing rubrics.

Natasha,

That's a good point. There are so many things to consider. Thanks for your input.

Michael,

Ha! We all learn from our mistakes and have all "rushed one out" that resulted in a "not so good" experience. Thanks for sharing.

One mistake I have noticed over and over in rubrics that have been provided to me is providing points for work that is not performed. Using a discussion rubric again, responding to two other students by the deadline may be worth 5 points, responding to one student by the deadline may be worth 3 points, failing to respond may be worth 1 point. Should they receive a point for no work? Is the distribution for the other posts fair?

Hello Lee,

I came across this problem with my Public Speaking class that I teach online. The rubrics were recently adjusted and decreased the amount of points that were allotted to APA formatting and spelling/grammar. This was done for two reasons. First, my class does not focus on writing assignments as much as other classes do. Second, my class is classified as a 100 class so many of my students are not familiar with APA formatting nor do they have strong writing skills.

This adjustment has allowed students to receive a more accurate grade on their assignments.

Janelle

One of the most common mistakes that I have seen is the length and number of components of the rubric. It is important to ensure that we incorporate no more than 4-8 points for the rubric.

Angela,

I create my rubrics to have a zero for no work. I do not assign points for no work. Thanks!

Janelle and Lee,

Thanks for continuing the conversation. The information you are sharing from your experience is very helpful.

Yvette,

Yes, when we have too many components, it can be confusing to the students. Thanks for noting that.

Many rubrics I use are provided. A common mistake I see is having a numerical range for each criterion. Student who may receive an Excellent in an area worth 9 or 10 points do not understand why they received the 9 instead of the 10.

Samantha Eaddy

Sign In to comment