Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

This is a good question. It thing one of the main mistakes would be trying to utilize the wrong type of rubric. In may courses I have seen holistic rubrics being utilized, when an analytic rubric would be more meaningful and informative to the student. Also it is important to note that careful consideration needs to be given during the development. Time must be allocated for proper development.

Jade,

Yes. Instructors must be careful in the design of the rubric to ensure the learning objectives are being met. Thanks.

Thomas,

Right on. Careful development of rubrics is essential.

There are a few issues I do see that online instructors make when creating rubrics. One such issue is that they rush through the rubric, and do not allot enough time and dedication into creating a rubric that is properly laid out and easy to use. Another issue I see is that the instructor puts to much emphasis on one particular area, when there needed to be more points allocated in other areas that seemed to be ignored or forgotten. However, I do see how allocating points to certain areas and less to others can become problematic, and difficult to assess.

David,

Correct. The development of rubrics should take some time. The instructor (and at times students) should review the assignment/project/learning outcomes/etc. to ensure proper alignment. Thanks for bringing up that important information!

When creating rubrics, online instructors need to take the time to create grading rubrics and then be willing to review and revise upon using them. Grading rubrics appear to be very simple and quick to develop but when you actually put them into action, bugs do show up!

Another area to be cautious of would be trying to put too much information into grading rubrics and address every aspect of an assignment. Grading rubrics should focus on key concepts of the assignments related to the learning objectives. Additional feedback can be given in narrative form to provide expanded direction/assistance to students regarding their performance on the assignments.

Laurie

The instructor could lose sight of the termainal couse objectives and focus to much on allocating point scores for each requirement of an assignment.
Ther may not be a provision in the rubric for all of the aspects of the assignment it realtes to.

Laurie,

Effective rubrics have to be "crafted." They can't simply be thrown together and work. You bring up very good points in your post. Thanks!

Francis,

I see your point. The instructor needs to make sure the project/assignments and rubric are connected to the learning outcomes. Thanks!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson,
In my online teaching, my classes already have the rubric generated for me. But based upon my reading, the main area of improvement is putting too many criteria in the rubric that are based on grading the "English", "APA, and report writing versus being concern on the student understanding of the subjects concepts.
Sincerely,
Walter
9-6-12

Most of my online classes have not already had the rubrics created. Therefore, I needed to create the rubrics. For me, I struggled with coming up with the appropriate grading scale. As I was going through this lesson, I realized that one mistake that I have done is to not be specific with my rubrics. I would assign once area a score between 3-5. So I will need to review those rubrics and rethink my scoring.

Walter,

Although the rubrics are made for you (how nice - I have never had this leisure) make sure they meet the learning outcomes of the assignment/project and course. Thank you.

Beverly,

To me it is hard to justify varying scales in one column of a rubric. How do you justify why one person received a 3 and another a 5. I only assign one value to a column. Then the description/criteria is either achieved or not. Hope this helps

Clarity of expectations is often a challenge, especially when organizationally there may be a lack of consistency in application of grading rubrics (including perceived grade inflation). I do find, however, that committed learners quickly re-calibrate their understanding of rubric expectations after receiving a less than satisfactory unit one grade.

Bennett,

It is true that clarity of expectaions can be difficult. I find it helpful to include the learning outcome(s) in the rubric as well to help tie it all together.

Writing criteria that is unclear or ambiguous, this makes it confusing for the student to understand.

Clarity is important, lack of clarity creates confusion and panic at times.

Review could be called continuous improvement, which is a good practice for any activity.

Charles,

It takes some time to clearly state the criteria so that everyone understands. Good point.

Charles,

And, we know we don't want panic. :-). Good job.

Sign In to comment