Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

An error I've made in making rubrics is to not realistically look at the points that I am assigning to each criteria. I've gone both ways in assigning too many or not enough and then struggling with the thought that I was not grading appropriately. Do you change the rubric mid semester? I tend not to.

Courtney,

Good point. The criteria and points assigned to them must be carefully planned. Thanks!

Samantha,

Yes, I do not use a range. I use a single number. The range can cause some issues. Thank you.

Not providing proper feedback

Common mistakes are having the criteria too ambiguous. Also, not to have specific criteria that are related to the terminal course objectives or to the course specifics.
Providing too little feedback on the point allocations can be another common mistake as well.

Best,
Dr. Shirley Chuo

One of the biggest mistakes in creating rubrics is not establishing criteria well enough for assessment. In addition, the rubric has to include language that not only encourages well-done assignments, but also has reinforcing language that doesn't discourage students and encourages a better attempt.

One of the mistakes we made on one of our rubrics was placing too much value (25%) on the grammar, format, and flow of the paper. We realized that more weight needed to be placed on the content of what was taught and expected. Once we updated the weighted values for each area of the rubric, the results matched the criteria.

Jeremy,

If you have a well-designed rubric, how could you not provide proper feedback?

Shirley,

You are right. The feedback should be specific enough to help the students improve.

Daniel,

The criteria are essential in development of the rubric Thanks for bringing that up.

Christopher,

Good point. We have to carefully consider the criteria and points or percentages assigned to each. Good job.

Some mistakes I have made making or using rubrics is to lose sight of the learning objective in the course. I forget the goal of the course is to get students through one set of criteria and I then hold the students to a higher standard. The rubrics sometimes need to be more detailed or customized for the course material to give examples of each criteria.

I believe some of the common mistakes made when creating rubrics, is simply not having enough time. Rubric creation did seem like an easy process until I took this course.

Online instructors also need to avoid creating a rubric without first, reviewing the objectives and understanding what they want the student to gain from the assignment. Another mistake might include too many criteria, causing it to be very hard to assess the students performance.

The terminology used by some instructors is so vague as to be unclear to the student. This seems to be especially true of people who prefer the subjective mode of grading. We have some long time instructors who do not want any specifics in the rubrics so they can still give whatever grade they want. This defeats the purpose of a rubric as an effective, objective means of grading projects.

Sign In to comment