Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Dania, I often have the same problem in teaching English composition. Many of my technical students tell me that they won't be writing reports, proposals, or even letters because their field is more hands-on. I ask them whether or not they want to be promoted or remain a technician all their lives with others making the decisions. When they say no, that they would want promotions, I remind them of the many written projects an administer is responsible for. That usually causes them to think differently.

I have had students also tell me that their writing abilities won't count as an administrator, that they will have a secretary for that! When that happens, I ask how they will know if their secretary is good at grammar and punctuation, and remind them that they will be signing the document without knowing it's correct.

I am constantly amazed at the naivete students can have.

Dania,

Great! You do know that a definition for learning includes feeling uncomfortable!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Michael,

So there is "more than one way to skin a cat" regarding answers? That is a great way for students to think for themselves. Don't you think that students are uncomfortable when they have more than one answer that is right?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Michael,
That is great! I have the same discussion with my students! That is great about knowing the skills of an assistant. ( May a quote you on that?)

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

The class I teach has a weekly reflective journal assignment. It is designed to allow students an opportunity to analyze the concepts covered during the week and apply their own personal experiences to these concepts and to discuss why the topic is important. I utilize a rubric which is provided to students at the beginning of the quarter and I use to grade and provide feedback with.

Kendra,

Great Idea! With the new LMS options the journal is a great electronic tool.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I use alternative assessment to focus on the indivudal student's needs, strengths, learning styles in order to build topics and issues to keep them interested so they can produce the quality results for success

Gwendolyn,

You are right! This includes allowing for creativity! Good answer

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I have not but would like to incorporate it. I teach a general education humanities course and constantly encourage students to incorporate their own experiences. I would like to incorporate alternative assessments minimally but with a strictly online format I feel I am restricted with my assessment options.

Erin,

Is that restriction something you feel or that is imposed upon you due to the environment?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

In today’s learning environment, particularly given the student demographics of my online courses, authentic assessment appeals to the students’ learning objectives. I have used a variety of scenario-based assessments that have the intent of relating student learning (as well as previous knowledge and experience) to today’s work environment. As I teach business, I have found the scenarios effective. There are also group projects that assess individual effort in a group or team environment as well as collaborative skills. While I will admit that students dread the group assignment, the reason for that is also a learning experience if the instructor highlights the learning points. For example, team building is important in the performance of groups. Although the group membership and contact information are posted at least two weeks in advance, students tend to focus only on immediate due dates of those weekly projects. I stress in announcements that initial coordination should be accomplished as soon as possible to facilitate the group process. When it is not accomplished, I point out some of the issues that occurred and probably could have been avoided had advanced coordination been made. Students can expect to work in teams at least occasionally in the work environment and these mini laboratories allow them to pick up some observations and tips for effective group formation and performance.

I agree Gwen. As a business instructor, bringing real-world cases to class offers the student yet another avenue in which to grasp concepts, managerial practices, and even create better ways of getting the job done.

Like you stated so nicely, "it does provide relevancy to the industry, and places the student at the heartbeat of the example being discussed.

George,

Don't you love teaching business?! Students dread group work when the group is dysfunctional. It is the role of the educator to make sure that everyone in the group is accountable. Good insight!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Elton,

I think it is "wrong" for anyone teaching business NOT to use the business world as part of the assessment plan. This facilitates transference of knowledge to application; which is a good thing.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I have used authentic assessments in my allied health science courses in which I would give patient case scenarios. I would give my students clinical cases in which they would have to examine the patient history, signs and symptoms to come up a diagnosis. My students seem to like this application of the information that we had previously learned in the class. This seemed to help them connect the dots.

I am taking these classes regarding online learning, however I have not yet taught a course online. I believe I could easily transfer many of the authentic assessments I have for ground classes to the online classroom. I teach psychology, sociology, and human growth and development among other general education classes. I often have students work in groups to develop a "plan of action" regarding a case study situation. I believe this project could easily be implemented in an online environment with some lively group discussion.

I have not used authentic assessments in my online courses. Given that I teach law and justice, I rely more on case studies, real life experiences. The life experiences are also drawn from students who are also wotking within the field. I believe that as far as my courses are concerned, it involves more of alternative assessments.

I agree, suggesting that students' view a youtube video or a movie or even a tv show does help the student to visualize the concept. I try to incorporate case studies regularly in my online chats and we do discuss how the concepts that I am reviewing applies to the chat content.

Beverly,

That is a great way of using authentic assessment. It does help them realize the important of the content in the course.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Jennifer ,

Sure, I think you are on the right track. This will help students to make the connection of "real life" with academics.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sign In to comment